Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Premium member ninjamyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tank crashing. Sigh

    My Red Sea Reefer 350 is crashing. I been battling GHA and dino for months since a month long trip to Thailand left my tank in really bad shape. I started Dino X 2 weeks ago and it wasn't doing much to my tank except brown out my SPS. 2 days ago, I stopped dosing it since it wasn't working and did a 10% water change. I manually removed as much GHA and dino as I can. The next day, most of my acro RTN. LPS are looking really bad. Every morning, more SPS RTN. Sigh. I am doing another 10% water change now but lost over $1,000 in corals already. All my parameters check out. I wonder if I stir things up too much with my water change or this was just eventually what will happen with dosing Dino X.

    Tank before:
    33328124306_d54638a804_z.jpg

    Tank now:
    DSC_0433.jpg
    DSC_0434.jpg
    DSC_0435.jpg
    DSC_0436.jpg
    DSC_0437.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    6,763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    damn man ..this hobby sucks
    Dumbest of all is always the one that thinks he is smarter than everyone ..

    Dont be a smartass
    all you get from me is :thefinger:

  3. #3
    Senior Member tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    6,763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Things like Dinox ..chemiclean .say they only target what they are advertised for but behind the scenes they kinda take care of almost all nutrients in the tank .. and going from nutrient rich water to no nutrients and then back to some what nutrients ... sps dont take it easy on them ..
    Dumbest of all is always the one that thinks he is smarter than everyone ..

    Dont be a smartass
    all you get from me is :thefinger:

  4. #4
    Premium member ninjamyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GHA actually got WORST after dosing Dino X. So I am not sure if it's really removing all the nutrients....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    monee
    Posts
    1,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
    My Red Sea Reefer 350 is crashing. I been battling GHA and dino for months since a month long trip to Thailand left my tank in really bad shape. I started Dino X 2 weeks ago and it wasn't doing much to my tank except brown out my SPS. 2 days ago, I stopped dosing it since it wasn't working and did a 10% water change. I manually removed as much GHA and dino as I can. The next day, most of my acro RTN. LPS are looking really bad. Every morning, more SPS RTN. Sigh. I am doing another 10% water change now but lost over $1,000 in corals already. All my parameters check out. I wonder if I stir things up too much with my water change or this was just eventually what will happen with dosing Dino X.

    Tank before:
    33328124306_d54638a804_z.jpg

    Tank now:
    DSC_0433.jpg
    DSC_0434.jpg
    DSC_0435.jpg
    DSC_0436.jpg
    DSC_0437.jpg

    Bummer , sorry to hear/see that ..Hope you can get a handle on it and it doesn't get the best of you
    Bryan

  6. Thanks ninjamyst thanked for this post
  7. #6
    TeamCR Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oak Lawn, IL
    Posts
    5,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear about your tank. That truly sucks

    Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    60gal cube mixed reef

  8. Thanks ninjamyst thanked for this post
  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    suburbs
    Posts
    1,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's that pill used for vaginal infections that was a success for GHA?

  10. Likes ninjamyst liked this post
  11. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you stated your water tests out but what's the TDS coming out of your RO unit and your tank alk? I've had huge problems with TDS and alk causing GHA.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #9
    Senior Member edin0009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Chicago 60611
    Posts
    349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by #theMatrix View Post
    What's that pill used for vaginal infections that was a success for GHA?
    I used Flunco 200 and it worked no more GHA or any other algae.Sorry to hear about your tank @ninjamyist :-(
    Last edited by edin0009; 04-15-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    210 Gallon reef mostly LPS 3x250w aqua medic MH, 30 gal refugium and a 30 gal sump, 2 skimmers,1/4 jbj artica chiller.24x24 frag tank 165w led fixture

  13. #10
    Premium member ninjamyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I know you stated your water tests out but what's the TDS coming out of your RO unit and your tank alk? I've had huge problems with TDS and alk causing GHA.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RODI is 0-5 TDS, even with new filters and RO membrane. Alk is 8.5 - 9.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by edin0009 View Post
    I used Flunco 200 and it worked no more GHA or any other algae.Sorry to hear about your tank @ninjamyist :-(
    I tried using Flunco too. It works great for my nano but didn't do much for this tank. It only pissed off my BTA to the point that it lost most of its color and started floating around the tank. I may try it again but will have to purchase more. I also want to let the tank just rest a little without adding more chemical to it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •