24 gallon cube

novanosis

Hello everyone.

I have been out of the hobby for just over 8 years now and have finally settled down to where I felt I had the time to get a small reef tank setup.

Past tanks have been a 46 bow, 40 breeder and a 28 nano cube.

I have always bought live rock for my tanks but to avoid hitchhikers and possible pests I've decided to begin with dry rock.

The tank is a 24 gallon cube AIO system with 20 lbs of rock and 15 lbs of sand. Tank has been up since 3/2 and has been dosed with ammonia and a combination Dr Tim's one and only and then Fluval brand cycle. I am dosing sparingly with ammonia every other day and dosing bacteria everyday.

Upgraded return pump for better flow but had to dial it down because the intake could not keep up. Added a Jebao sw2 for extra flow, might add another when needed.

Using red Sea salt with an RO/DI system.
Made a DIY media basket as intank does not have one made for my tank.

Looking forward to the macro algae with a media reactor DIY as this seems to work well.

Anyhow thanks for stopping by. I will update when needed.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

pclark2

Looks good! I've been out of the hobby about 10 years myself but just finally convinced my wife to let me get back into it :)

Cubano32

Premium member
What return pump are you running I got a small 10g AIO and I got a hydor return pump that just isn't giving me enough flow so need something stronger

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Amozoc

Premium member
What return pump are you running I got a small 10g AIO and I got a hydor return pump that just isn't giving me enough flow so need something stronger

Until i know the MJ1200 works perfectly for that kind of aquarium

Sent from my iPhone using Thor

Cubano32

Premium member
Until i know the MJ1200 works perfectly for that kind of aquarium

Sent from my iPhone using Thor
The hydor pump I have is rated for 300gph the mj1200 is the same so I need something bigger

novanosis

Jebao WP-2000 Submersible

novanosis

Ammonia 2ppm
Nitrite 4 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm

Still a way to go. I'll check tonight to see how fast the ammonia and nitrite drop. I dosed ammonia this morning. This is the first time I am testing since setup.

novanosis

If you know anyone in the Belmont/portage/Jefferson area that has chaeto available I'd appreciate it.

novanosis

20% wc last night, did not dose ammonia this time. Cycle not complete as the ammonia I dosed was over 24 hours plus a water change.

With the amount of Nitrate yesterday at 80ppm I must have overdosed ammonia over the course of the past couple of weeks. No live rock was used to seed so it is taking a good amount of time. I will test again tomorrow and once ammonia and nitrite are down I will does a small amount of ammonia to capture how long before the conversion. Will prep for a 50% water change after cycle.

Test done this evening 9:20pm 3/18

Ammonia .25 ppm API
Nitrite 1ppm Salifert
Nitrate 40ppm API

novanosis

Thought I'd share. CUC will be here tomorrow I just hope I have enough to support them. Duncan not fully extended but I will be patient and let it fully acclimate before assuming flow or lighting. Turned down the LEDs and will acclimate corals slowly until I can reach 30% intensity. Actinic is 20% and full spectrum is at 15%. Want to hit about 70/30 by end month.