78 or 216?

Smith11

Would a 78 watt 1x 10000 k and 1x 450 nm actinic give me 300+ PAR at the bottom of a 12" deep tank? Or would it be better to go extream with 4 HO bulbs 2x10000k 54w and 2x 450 nm actinics 54w so basically a meager 2.8 watts per gallon or a huge 8 watts per gallon ( for sps, some acans/blastos and maybe a few nps (carnation tree/ duncans)) oh nd zoas

BADGUS

Wow,this one is a a hard question,although the tank is shallowish,i think you would have to put more bulbs to be safe.

FishBeard

I would go with the t5-ho setup strictly on the principal you can mix and match quality ATI bulbs to get the perfect color mix. ATI also tend to have some of the highest PAR output of t5 bulbs in the industry. You really shouldn't use the watt/gal formula, it's outdated and not accurate as not all bulbs are created equal.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Alright thats what i was leaning torwards! But my wallets not
Keep an eye on craigslist, people are always selling lights. The last thing you want to do is buy something sub-par (pun intended) only to turn around and buy what you should have bought the first time. It's more expensive that way then just getting what you should have started with....just my 2c.

Smith11

Hobbies aren't cheap,specially keeping saltwater,you get what you pay for.
Yea i know. Dont forget im still in highschool tho haha so the budgets limited. I have enough for the full set up so im just complaining:meeting: