Another tank what to do...

Vapour1ze

Hi all, I have a 93 cube reef in the living room. Basement sump and an entire fish room plumbed through the floor etc....

I came across a 120 reef ready that I couldn't pass up! Phenomenal deal and I couldn't resist. It is going to go in the Master Bedroom or the Office.... Not sure where. I am going to do it on a separate system with a sump underneath...

I can't decide whether to do another reef, or do a FOWLR.

I like the dimensions but I can't decide on what I want to do, and what would be a good stock list.

Another reef sounds like a lot of work. Especially without the fish room and space that I have with my existing reef.

Personally I would rather do some nice lights, and a FOWLR and maybe a dragon eel...

Anyone have some input? Am I nuts for thinking another reef, just stick to a FOWLR?

Cheers! Gobble Gobble!`

Triggerdood

Imo, I would do a reef. In a 120 you will be very frustrated with your fish options. I have a 155g , 6 footer fowlr, and it's not big enough for my likings. Jmo though.

ultimatemj

Look in the mirror and repeat after me 'I have a problem...' LOL

I'm with ADOGG80, until you get to 300g or so, Fowlr can be like bird cages...they need room to spread their wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
I agree to a point with aaron i have a 90 fowlr and have to sell fish off time to time but at same time keeps hobby fun ive ran into a issue of fish dont die anymore and ich and velvet and other deseases dont even bother me anymore ive figured it all out and if tgey didnt out grow my tank id never get new fish and would have no reasons to ho to lfs anymore which would make me sad . So imo if stocked right that tank will be a good size fowlr although bigger is better i enjoy new fish and although it sucks to let some go is nice to go pick out a new one

taylor t

I have a 210 and a 75, both reefs. I would do a reef, a duplicate reef with differences. I had the 210 as a reef first(it came to be, by combining (3) 75 gallon reefs) then accumulated enough left over, over the years, for a second 75 reef. I had the filter sock, reactors, all the extra toys to go along with it. I used the 75 as an overflow, but didn't want the extra work or toys it took to make it a reef. After a while, I noticed I could keep a reef easier with no sock, no reactors, no other toys...

For me, it was an eye opener, to see I could keep a reef easier with less work, less "stuff" and it was much easier... And the corals did great without the bells and whistles.

I would do it the same way, a reef (separate system) and use it as a (learning) "test" tank with left overs/duplicate corals. You can see how corals change with different levels/types of lights/water chemistry/flow... My 2 tanks now, easier to keep both, than one in the beginning. You would be able to do this with minimal money too...

thomas.sweeney.10

I just can't see being happy with fish only when I know I can do a reef. And even if I did a fish only it would only be a matter of time before....hey this frag would go great right here...plus there's a whole basement system to upgrade for the extra load. Sounds like a great project.