Best light for 8 gallon rimless?

Smith11

Hey all!

Its been quite awhile since i popped my head up, ive been busy with school and the likes. But recently i bought a new jbj 8 gallon cube which is currently cycling! I have a wavepoint 16 watt light on it right now just for the cycle so i can look in it etc. Im inquiring about your suggestions for a light! I was thinking about an AI Prime but am not sure if its the best option as there are several par38s with dimmables that i like too that are about a quarter of the price. So hit me with your best shot!

Sjkarrow

for something that size i'd be either looking at the nanobox reef fixture or a 35w par 38 bulb from coral compulsion.

i'd lean towards the nanobox as that huge gooseneck for the par38 would look funny on a small tank imo

Rallos

Maybe it's overkill but I have an AI prime over my office 5.5g fluval spec v and I love it! I can check if it's still on and make adjustments if I am out of the office and I never worry about something going wrong. My zoas love the light.

Smith11

Maybe it's overkill but I have an AI prime over my office 5.5g fluval spec v and I love it! I can check if it's still on and make adjustments if I am out of the office and I never worry about something going wrong. My zoas love the light.
Think its enough for SPS?

tinman

Think its enough for SPS?
think so .. not for the very high light needing ones but others should be fine but have to run at very high intensity and Feck that thing is hot ..

i have it over my 10 Nuvo and plan on putting sps in there ..

Rallos

I think it would be enough for anything but the most light demanding of SPS. You can put it really close to the water with the hanging kit to get even more intensity. I use the arm mount kit and that has a height adjustment as well. At the lowest setting the light is ~5 inches from the surface of the water.

I am only running mine at around 40% intensity.

SkullV

In a JBJ 8 you can grow anything you want, including the absolutely most light demanding SPS, almost anywhere with an AI prime.

tinman

In a JBJ 8 you can grow anything you want, including the absolutely most light demanding SPS, almost anywhere with an AI prime.
though very sarcastic, yes :) .. a nano is very hard to make it work with sps .. let alone getting them to grow ..
i am putting only one inch frags trying to make it work ..if it doesn't work well ill scratch that idea

or wait did i understand it wrong ? and you actually meant it can be done ?

Last edited:

Jep21

though very sarcastic, yes :) .. a nano is very hard to make it work with sps .. let alone getting them to grow ..
i am putting only one inch frags trying to make it work ..if it doesn't work well ill scratch that idea

or wait did i understand it wrong ? and you actually meant it can be done ?
U can grow any type of coral in a nano/pico.. You just have to be very dedicated in ur tank husbandry and be on top of all fluctuations of a nano/pico..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jep21

The ai prime is a great like imo.. I have 2 of them over my 40 breeder.. And is keeping my sps, anemones, lps, and zoas very happy

tinman

The ai prime is a great like imo.. I have 2 of them over my 40 breeder.. And is keeping my sps, anemones, lps, and zoas very happy

Sweet :)

Dude check ur pm ..

Sent from my iPhone

SkullV

U can grow any type of coral in a nano/pico.. You just have to be very dedicated in ur tank husbandry and be on top of all fluctuations of a nano/pico..
Absolutely! Like Jeff (and several others here and on other forums), I have had several successful Nano and Pico reefs. I believe the #1 most important piece of equipment in a "tiny" tank is a float switch based ATO to keep salinity at a rock solid level followed by an accurate heater controller (Reefkeeper, Apex, Ranco, etc.) to keep temperature fluctuations from happening. After those points, just don't overstock (fish) and do your weekly 10% water changes and you should be good to go until some kind of Ca/Alk makeup is required.

Last edited:

Smith11

Absolutely! Like Jeff (and several others here and on other forums), I have had several successful Nano and Pico reefs. I believe the #1 most important piece of equipment in a "tiny" tank is a float switch based ATO to keep salinity at a rock solid level followed by an accurate heater controller (Reefkeeper, Apex, Ranco, etc.) to keep temperature fluctuations from happening. After those points, just don't overstock (fish) and do your weekly 10% water changes and you should be good to go until some kind of Ca/Alk makeup is required.
My 2 gallon had ok sps growth, but if i let it go for too long id loose something here or there. I am going to put in one of those smart ATO from hydor for the salinity to keep it solid. And by ca/alk do you mean dosing?

Thanks for the info everybody ill be ordering a prime in the next few days

maidia

Team CR
My 2 gallon had ok sps growth, but if i let it go for too long id loose something here or there. I am going to put in one of those smart ATO from hydor for the salinity to keep it solid. And by ca/alk do you mean dosing?

Try 2 of these cheap and good too..:)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Arrival-Hot-sale-Cree-E27-54W-18X3W-PAR38-LED-Coral-Reef-Grow-Light-High/32283248391.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.10.sq1kwH&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6,searchweb201644_1_505_506_503_504_201_502_10014_10001_10002_10016_9761_10005_10006_10003_10004,searchweb201560_2,searchweb1451318400_-1,searchweb1451318411_6451&btsid=0b54176e-4d6a-4ee5-a76c-7b7e571b0be6

SkullV

Yep, i was referring to dosing.