Biocube 29 With Overflow and Sump Setup

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Thanks to all who helped out. Providing this in case anyone else wants to do something similar. The gate valve is critical to controlling noise levels as it has much better control vs the ball valve. Tested for power failure and sump can handle siphon from display tank.

Final Configuration Running
View attachment 16849
View attachment 16850
View attachment 16851
View attachment 16852
View attachment 16853
View attachment 17278View attachment 17279View attachment 17280

Equipment
Eshopps PF 300 Overflow
Eshopps RS 75 Sump
Rio 1700 Pump

Detailed Piping Setup
Drain Line

Union 1" Slip
PVC Pipe 1"
Street Elbow 90 1" Slip
Elbow 90 1" Slip
Bushing 1" 3/4" Slip
PVC Pipe 3/4"
Union 3/4" Slip
PVC Pipe 3/4"
Street Elbow 90 3/4" Slip
Gate Valve 3/4" Slip
PVC Pipe 3/4"
Elbow 90 3/4" F Threaded 3/4" Slip
Hose Barb 3/4" Barb 3/4" M Threaded
3/4" Braided Vinyl Hose

Return Line

3/4" Braided Vinyl Hose
Hose Barb 3/4" Barb 1/2" M Threaded
Bushing 1/2" F Threaded 3/4" Slip
Union 3/4" Slip
Bushing 3/4" 1/2" Slip
Street Elbow 90 1/2" Slip
PVC Pipe 1/2"
Ball Valve 1/2" Slip
PVC Pipe 1/2"
Union 1/2" Slip
PVC Pipe 1/2"
Coupling 1/2" Slip 1/2" F Threaded
Hose Barb 1/2" Barb 1/2" M Threaded
1/2" Braided Vinyl Hose

Misc Materials
Foam Pad added below sump to reduce noise from Vibration
Foam Pipe Insulation added to block sun from growing algae in vinyl tubing

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Take a look at the banner on the forum home page - a black bar, it links to why the thread is gone.

Here are the two replies from the other database.

Fatal Flaw: In your overflow box, you want your airline to be just below the top of the box. That way, if you get close to overflowing, it will suck in water and cause a full siphon which will (hopefully) prevent it from overflowing onto your floor. I would recommend doing some research on the siphon capacity and compare it to the flow you are putting through with the return pump.

Personally, I do not run anything without an emergency overflow to be safe.

Not Necessarily Fatal Flaws: There are a lot of 90 degree elbows which reduce the capacity of the overflow (slows down the water and creates back pressure). I'm not sure by how much but it could cause an issue. Flexible tubing would help resolve this.

Final thought, definitely run a power cycle (turn power off for 5 minutes and turn it back on) to see how the overflow reacts. I do not have much experience with HOB overflows so hopefully someone can give you input on how reliable they are and if the siphon will break with how it is set up.

Hope this helps!
Oh and last point, I don't think you want the ball valve on the overflow to your sump. Some systems recommend a gate value if you are running a system like a bean animal for tuning it but since you only have one overflow, you want the line as open as possible without risk of clogging. Ball valves reduce the overall size of the line slightly which may be problematic.

#theMatrix

You can still make a end of supply line pvc to lockline like an over the top supply line. If the hose you have now isnt too flexible theres others more ambidextrous.
Will take some artachments but you already had something similar from your supply line to pvc in your original sump photo.

Make that attachement with an over the top pvc U