Buying and selling conduct

trackfast

Princess Trainer
This is NOT a reaction to a recent transaction but I've experienced and heard enough of what happens sometimes. Hopefully this will help those new or unsure of how a transaction takes place. Obviously different members have their own rules.

1. Don't be late. Don't message me at the time we're supposed to meet and tell me you're still 45 minutes away. (5
or 10 minutes is understandable).
2. Don't bring guests. This is more on the buyer; ask the seller if others can attend.
3. If you don't have PayPal bring the exact amount.
4. I like people to take off their shoes in my house.
5. Bring a cooler whether it's cold or warm.
6. Don't take up too much time. I'll look at others' tanks and show mine but I don't stay 5+ hours and you
shouldn't either.
7. If you're selling make sure you have the proper containers/bags. Exchange 5G buckets with the buyer for
bigger items.
8. It's perfectly fine to meet in a public place when dealing with someone for the first time.
9. Don't lowball; this is an expensive hobby. You know that getting in.
9a. Negotiate a new price when meeting IF and only IF, the product does not fit the given description. But be
prepared for the seller to decline.

Again, this is just how I like things done. Your results may vary.

Last edited:
This is NOT a reaction to a recent transaction but I've experienced and heard enough of what happens sometimes. Hopefully this will help those new or unsure of how a transaction takes place. Obviously different members have their own rules.

1. Don't be late. Don't message me at the time we're supposed to meet and tell me you're still 45 minutes away. (5
or 10 minutes is understandable).
2. Don't bring guests. This is more on the buyer; ask the seller if others can attend.
3. If you don't have PayPal bring the exact amount.
4. I like people to take off their shoes in my house.
5. Bring a cooler whether it's cold or warm.
6. Don't take up too much time. I'll look at others' tanks and show mine but I don't stay 5+ hours and you
shouldn't either.
7. If you're selling make sure you have the proper containers/bags. Exchange 5G buckets with the buyer for
bigger items.
8. It's perfectly fine to meet in a public place when dealing with someone for the first time.
9. Don't lowball; this is an expensive hobby. You know that getting in.
9a. Negotiate a new price when meeting IF and only IF, the product does not fit the given description. But be
prepared for the seller to decline.

Again, this is just how I like things done. Your results may vary.

ALL VERY GOOD POINTS ... but whats with # 8 if your selling something and they have to see what your selling why the public place ?? they surely wont come back and take a frag out of the tank .maybe im just to trustworthy of people

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trackfast

Princess Trainer
#8 comes from my sales via CL. CR members are welcome into my house; CL people I would rather meet elsewhere.

SkullV

This one is great. I think there should be a seller's etiquette post as well, something along the lines of honoring the prices you post, not price gouging newbies compared to people who know what they are getting, disclosing past/current pests, etc. Nice job Vic.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks for the topic Victor!

...but whats with #8...

There are arguments against almost all the Trackfast’s points for certain scenarios. Instead of arguing the outliers and picking apart the points, why not ask the meaning behind them? All sellers and buyers have different wishes and preferences. Being courteous and aware of others differences will go a long way.

I have one to add...

Ultimately if you don’t like the way a seller or buyer wants to do business, simply don’t do business with them and leave it there. Public bashing and snide comments gets nothing positive accomplished.

This one is great. I think there should be a seller's etiquette post as well, something along the lines of honoring the prices you post, not price gouging newbies compared to people who know what they are getting, disclosing past/current pests, etc. Nice job Vic.

POST OF THE WEEK .......

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Agreed Ted. But members I've traded with, sold to, bought from, have had "gifts" from will always get a better price than someone I don't know. And I remember now about #8: there was a member that I didn't want at my house. I think he has since gotten out of the hobby so it doesn't matter anymore.

tinman

Thanks for the topic Victor!

There are arguments against almost all the Trackfast’s points for certain scenarios. Instead of arguing the outliers and picking apart the points, why not ask the meaning behind them? All sellers and buyers have different wishes and preferences. Being courteous and aware of others differences will go a long way.

I have one to add...

Ultimately if you don’t like the way a seller or buyer wants to do business, simply don’t do business with them and leave it there. Public bashing and snide comments gets nothing positive accomplished.
+1

but, public bashing is bad but the feedback tool is awesome and should be used.. so that it may provide better judgement for future sellers/buyers.

i always allowed ppl into my apartment and enjoyed showing my tank to others but with things happening over the site recently, i don't think i will let anyone that i don't know from before into my apartment. There are soo many great dudes and reefers on this forum but good always goes had in hand with bad.

So very true Ted, when i was a newbie i was lured the same way by one *** reefer and regret driving there till this day. i paid a lot that day from a newbie perspective and ended up with nothing but cloves and nuclear greens and may be numerous pests as bonus.

an advice to newbies and fellow reefers .. i always say buy from someone who sees hobby as such and not someone who has a tank to make money.

thanks for the thread victor.

SkullV

Agreed Ted. But members I've traded with, sold to, bought from, have had "gifts" from will always get a better price than someone I don't know.
Of for sure, nothing wrong with lowering the price for certain people, but things like charging a newbie $10/pp for something that people generally give away for free just because they don't know they can get it for free is what I'm talking about. Or saying "come over with your fish and trade me for this coral" and then saying you're gonna need money on top knowing full well the person/and fish are just gonna take the deal so they don't have to drive 45min away in the same direction.

For the MOST part I think people who are on forums in the hobby are pretty good. There are a few bad apples that certainly ruin the bunch though.

CoralN00b

Or saying "come over with your fish and trade me for this coral" and then saying you're gonna need money on top knowing full well the person/and fish are just gonna take the deal so they don't have to drive 45min away in the same direction.
Wow, I can't believe someone would actually do that but at the same time nothing really surprises me anymore. I think everything should be laid out and clear before the meeting. It makes it all easier.

SkullV

Wow, I can't believe someone would actually do that but at the same time nothing really surprises me anymore. I think everything should be laid out and clear before the meeting. It makes it all easier.
Someone on this forum, from what I understand nothing has changed there either.

Absolutely that's the only way ...

mishmaster

1. For the duration of the transaction, keep your dog away from me, last time I went to someones house for coral, they opened the door and immediately their dog jumped on me and scratched my hand, (I have a dog by the way, so I'm not being prejudice), just put your dog in your room for the buyer gets there, thanks.

2. When I text you about when can we meet, don't respond "Anytime", "I'm home all day". Tell me exactly what hours and days work, this will save us all another hours worth of texting back and forth.

3. Smile, so I know your human, and it might take the edge off of meeting a stranger in their personal space.

4. Ok fine, don't be drunk or high, lol, do i even need to say it. Thats what I meant obviously, you can drink but damn don't be hammered.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks and that this thread is necessary because the nature of the hobby requires the buyer to see the product in person, its not like buying an electronic product which can be done in a public place. Buying coral and fish requires you to go to someones personal home or basement, so etiquette is required.

Last edited:

lunacris

ill add to the list . NO I DONT WANT TO BE OFFERED DRUGS WHILE PICKING UP CORAL OR FISH. .a beer is always welcome tho ;)