Calling out all the reptile, amphibian, insect and other people

jrpark22000

Premium member
ok so what animals have you seen or havve you kept in humid terrariums/vivariums?

devil crabs
salamander/newt
poison dart frogs
tree frogs
leaf frogs
toads
geckos - day and night
tarantula
millipede
praying mantis

What am I missing? I'm going to redo my small terraium that use to house the tree frogs. I'll keep it a planted vivarium/paludarium. There's just so many different animals people keep and I'm not in the know. What else do you know of? I'll add it to the list and research what I can to see if there are any good fits.

Thanks!

vivarium - generally tropical; high humidity, well planted, running water features.

terrarium - generally arid; low humidity, dryer climate animals, little water

paludarium - vivarium or terrarium with a large body of water. 50/50 water/land type tanks.

madjoe

Premium member
Ive seen and will be getting cool newts soon and salamanders. I know u in japan but every 1st sat and third sunday there a reptile swap in dupage county fair grounds im there every show lol

Right now we have a Bearded Dragan and an African Sulcata. But they are more of the dry, arid types, just do everything exactly opposite of what I do.

Last edited:

madjoe

Premium member
My list is a 5ft iguana a day gecko 3 leopard geckos two fire belly toads two green tree frogs a green vine snake yellow spotted salamader maybe im missing something not sure lol oh a tomato frog

- - - Updated - - -

U can make a preying mantis tank there cool

RicoReef

not quite but close lol the kids leopards no humidity here i would like some red eye tree frogs

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Ive seen and will be getting cool newts soon and salamanders. I know u in japan but every 1st sat and third sunday there a reptile swap in dupage county fair grounds im there every show lol
Thanks Joe. MY issue with salamanders is the temp range. Ffrom research they do very poorly in temps above 75. My current tanks hit 80-83 during the day. They are also quite dirty and need canister flters on their vivariums. While cool, they seem to be too much work.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Right now we have a Bearded Dragan and an African Sulcata. But they are more of the dry, arid types, just do everything exactly opposite of what I do.
Yeah, I'm looking preferably for a rainforest species. Something I can grow plants in, takes temps as high as 83 and up to 75% humididty. But all that said I'm open to change things up depending on the species.

jrpark22000

Premium member
My list is a 5ft iguana a day gecko 3 leopard geckos two fire belly toads two green tree frogs a green vine snake yellow spotted salamader maybe im missing something not sure lol oh a tomato frog

- - - Updated - - -

U can make a preying mantis tank there cool
Sounds like a hell of a zoo. HAHA!

Adding them to the list, praying mantis are cool!

jrpark22000

Premium member
not quite but close lol the kids leopards no humidity here i would like some red eye tree frogs

I have rersearched arid animals. T he low temps for most species is going to be hard for me to keep. The current tanks hit as low as 67 at night, even with tank heaters and a room oil heater infront of the wood stand.

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks Joe. MY issue with salamanders is the temp range. Ffrom research they do very poorly in temps above 75. My current tanks hit 80-83 during the day. They are also quite dirty and need canister flters on their vivariums. While cool, they seem to be too much work.
Idk i never see mine last time was 8 months thought he was dead they just hide under moss. I will look at next show see what they have all types crazy crap i just dont know names

jrpark22000

Premium member
Oh and last time they had some if the coolest dart frogs ive ever seen
Highland bronze is one of the coolest I've ever seen. But the bumble ones I have get the job done. PDFs are great at hiding, when ever people come over or even the wife looks at the tanks, it's a chore and crap shoot if you'll see one.

I've love to get a rainforest tarantula, the wife is so crazy scared of spiders it's no joke and too cruel to get one.

madjoe

Premium member
Highland bronze is one of the coolest I've ever seen. But the bumble ones I have get the job done. PDFs are great at hiding, when ever people come over or even the wife looks at the tanks, it's a chore and crap shoot if you'll see one.

I've love to get a rainforest tarantula, the wife is so crazy scared of spiders it's no joke and too cruel to get one.
Yea im not a spider guy i wont scream like my wife does but i will smash lol

jrpark22000

Premium member
how about the giant leachie geckos ?

Holy crap. Those are cool. I've done the research on geckos, specifically day geckos. If my reef ever has a complete failure I'll redo it as a gecko forest with williamsi or similar small species.

RicoReef

Holy crap. Those are cool. I've done the research on geckos, specifically day geckos. If my reef ever has a complete failure I'll redo it as a gecko forest with williamsi or similar small species.
Dang those williamsi would be a great choice the colors on them are amazing

jrpark22000

Premium member
Dang those williamsi would be a great choice the colors on them are amazing

Completely agree. Seeing how much they like to move around, I couldn't put them in anything less tahn a 3' and preferably a 4' enclosure. Hence the reef tank redo option.

madjoe

Premium member
Hey josh i just remembered i had some pygmy chameleons that were pretty cool and liked the lower temps as the usually r found on the forest floor they dont live super long but can be breed and stay size of a dart frog

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Hey josh i just remembered i had some pygmy chameleons that were pretty cool and liked the lower temps as the usually r found on the forest floor they dont live super long but can be breed and stay size of a dart frog
Thanks Joe. I'm researching them tongith.

**edit**
Damm, quite a bit to keeping them well. Going to take some serious reading. The temps, humidity and cage size all fit thought.
http://flchams.com/pygmy-chameleon-care-sheet/

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks Joe. I'm researching them tongith.

**edit**
Damm, quite a bit to keeping them well. Going to take some serious reading. The temps, humidity and cage size all fit thought.
http://flchams.com/pygmy-chameleon-care-sheet/
Yea i read all that they not that hard my female was a great eater the male was so so . i think they would do good in that kinda set up but they r hard to spot in the cage also so kinda like dart frogs gotta search for em