Corals dying Looking for Plan of Action

wrasse

Corals dying Looking for Plan of Action
I have a problem with my corals bleaching out and dying and trying to figure out what is going on. Over the past few days I have several corals bleach out and die in one section of my tank.
Died Acropora aculeus, Acropora Seriatopora, northern lights montipora is almost completely gone.
And now it looks like it is heading towards a large colony of Montipora undata and possibly other montipora. Lights are out right now in tank, they will be on in a few hours. It seems weird that it is spreading over acrora and montipora over several days.
Possibilities I have considered:
disease or parasite ?
My return line is split and one of them one of the return lines points to that general direction in the tank. (Can redirect line if need be)
Changes lately:
Added a new ATK ato to my system which I have not been able to get to work properly alarm keeps going off. I am not sure if it is dumping excess RO into tank.
Removed some Chaeto which was overgrowing and clogging my refugium. I was thinking a possible dump of organic into tank when pulling out chaeto.
My Alk was at 8.56 and I wanted to get it to 9.5 Added some ALK to my system 1OZ 117 gallon total water voume in system which called for 2.6 OZ and only added less than half.
added calcium My calcium was 330ppm to 400pp calls for 28 oz and added 16oz
I have not been checking anything buy alk, calcium, and once in a while magnesium. I don’t check phosphate, or any other parameters.
I have a reed manicure bonsai tree that I can remove the rock that is affected the most. But it may be spreding to a different rock.

I have moved a portion of the Acropora Seriatopora and it may be doing ok, know more when lights on.

It may be possible to relocation corals being hurt. I do have a frag tank but it is not fully established I get some bryopsis algae or diatom and I have the lights not dialed in the way I want, I feel they are too high.

Looking for suggestions or a plan of action on what to do.

Peaches

Check power heads on that side ive heard of mps magnets rusting and blowing on the corals and dieing . Ive never had it happen but someone i know had it happen

tinman

my best guess would be lack of nutrients

or high phosphates

in both cases some acros get affected by it far worse and faster than others and then others catch up..

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
my best guess would be lack of nutrients

or high phosphates

in both cases some acros get affected by it far worse and faster than others and then others catch up..
Agreed with Tin. Maybe take a sample to your LFS to have it tested just to see.

I also wonder the timing with your ATK addition. Where does the ATO pump enter the tank? If it is the same section as the return pump (which one of the splits is pointed at that area) then I would recommend proactively...

1) moving the fresh water entry away from the return pump intake (allowing it to mix and dilute)

2) move the locline to point at the surface or not immediately at the corals.

Again, I think this is a longshot but worth the changes as they are easy to implement.

My focus would be on the nutrients though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wrasse

Lights have been on and I lost northern lights montipora, I do have a few small frags in the other frag tank.
Montipora undata frag, about 3 x4 inch frag is almost completly gone I saved a few frags, they look rough around edges.
green plating montipors colony close to northern lights montipora also died.
I am thinking that once the corals started dying the phosphates in the immediate vicinity started killing corals next to them. I pulled out all the dead coral and tried to frag what was good some of the flesh on the rims of the frag look frayed, not sure if tissue is dead or not. Any dips I can use?
I have iodine maybe a few other things at the back of the closet.

Turned off ATO and will add RO water manual until I find out what is going on.
Ill clean MP40 wet side and inspect it is pointing right at affect corals, has been for 2 years more or less.

Last edited:

ultimatemj

Changes lately:
Added a new ATK ato to my system which I have not been able to get to work properly alarm keeps going off. I am not sure if it is dumping excess RO into tank.
I would encourage you to start looking into the basics...especially the salinity of tank, since you have been messing with the top off. Check the RODI filters, add some Prime (for any ammonia from the die off) add some bacteria (Stability, Fritzeyme, etc) to ensure there is enough good guys. Then check all your equipment to see if there is anything broken, rusted, etc. Then measure parameters. From there you'll have a base~

Good luck!

wrasse

salinity is 1.024 what I normally run at
ato water is 1.000
I'll check all my equipment.

Prime is a good idea I'll do that.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Why is your ATO at 1.0?

I would get your water test asap. I doubt that it has anything to do with your MP40s since they've been up and running for 2 years. To me it sounds like a parameter change in the chemistry of your water. Get it test or test it yourself and post them here please.

Also what are you using for your ATO water? Is it RO/DI same for your salt mix?

I'd also recommend not adding anything to your tank until you figure out what's causing the issue. How can you add or dose if you don't know what's going on?

Last edited:

Amozoc

Premium member
Have you ever tested your ATO water reservoir? One time mine was full of algae

Sent from my iPhone using Thor

goatous

Why is your ATO at 1.0?
I'm pretty sure he means the salinity density of the ATO water is 1.00 g/cm3, which is what you want it to be for RODI water. Compared to natural saltwater of 1.027 g/cm3, but he keeps at 1.024 - which should be fine.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Sorry brain fart moment. You are right...lol

To the OP have you checked the TDS of your ATO? You should check it at three locations

Before going into your RO/DI unit, after your carbon block and after your DI

wrasse

Lights are still out on my aquarium 8:00 A.M.
From what I can see it looks like what I was able to frag has survived. I have a few ideas and questions, I'll post latter once lights are on.
Interesting side note some of my other corals in other sections of the tank looked awesome last night.

maidia

Team CR
Lights are still out on my aquarium 8:00 A.M.
From what I can see it looks like what I was able to frag has survived. I have a few ideas and questions, I'll post latter once lights are on.
Interesting side note some of my other corals in other sections of the tank looked awesome last night.
How many MP40 you have in the tank?