Cycling tank and BRS Pukani dry rock

Deezill

Premium member
Guys I am starting my tanks cycle today. I have 40lbs of BRS Pukani dry rock. I have read some says it need to be cured some say toss it in the tank while tank cycle.
I am confused am I to toss it in or cure it? If I am to cure it what do I cure it with? it been sitting in a plastic bag for a few day and nothing should even be alive on the base rock
someone please let me know what I am am supposed to do with this rock. Thanks.

conchman

Premium member
I can't tell you what you should do. I will tell you what I did. I went straight in. Right or wrong, that's what I did. 65 gallon, just scraped it and filled it. No issues that I remember. With the seed rock I placed in sump, I had crawlies in about a week as I recall. Good luck....I really liked using the dry rock.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
When I cycle a new tank I toss the rock and sand in and let everything cycle at the same time. A piece of LR and a cup or two of sand from someone else's tank helps too.

Deezill

Premium member
ok excellent. I already have some live rock from my old tank that is still running. thanks this is good to know.

goatous

The problem with the Pukani dry rock is because all those wonderful holes and textures are full of dead sponges and such. When you throw it straight in tank, the decay process is occurring in your tank. All the nutrients are now in your tank.

I cured my rock in freshwater in the tank and did a 100% water change every few weeks. Leaving the lights off, to prevent algae, with the heater set warm (82°F) to speed up the breakdown.

At the end, 2-3 months, near zero nutrients remained. Very low nutrients is very helpful at minimizing unwanted algae when you start a new tank.

Then cycle the tank normally.

It isn't the fastest process but it is easy and effective.

shift9k

If you cure in tank, you wont have to worry about adding anything to start the cycle. I guess it also depends how much nutrients is in the rock you have. Personally I would just add it and let it ride. You will most likely battle the new tank uglies more so than you would've had you cured it. More work in the long run but not everyone has time or space to cure so I totally understand. Just be prepared to fight the algae.

tinman

Brs pukani is notorius for nutrient issues in the long run ... i know ppl who had phosphate issues and sps troubles wven after a year from the pukani rock which is why i totally avoided it .,

Tonga rock releases less nutrients or if you are even worried get one or those manmade rocks that dont release any thing

If doing pukani soak it in venegar atleast and that would take care of phosphates atleast a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shift9k

I guess I should add that I went with BRS reef saver rock because of said nutrient issues with the pukani.

Deezill

Premium member
I only have 40 pounds of Pukani so I hope its not that bad. I have a 120 pounds of another type rock that is not as nutrient heavy.