DIY refugium

plugger999

Hey guys...
I'm thinking of building my own refugium. I really like the idea of growing macro algae but I really have no idea the benefits of a refugium though. They just look cool. Could someone tell me more about them, and then...how to build one?

Thanks

mikenh77

As I usually read online.. the larger the refugium the better. Major benefits are...
1. Refuge for animals usually under predation, (copepods, amphipods, etc). This adds a natural source of food constantly flowing into your tank for your corals and fish to munch on.
2. Phosphate and Nitrate removal... It competes with other algae, so it reduces the severity and/or outbreaks of algae/diatom in the display tank. Also phosphate prevents calcification, which inhibits coralline algae and coral skeleton growth.
3. If you have a foxface or tang, you can grow them some fresh salad.

Good luck with your build neighbor. If you want some macro algae let me know.

plugger999

ok...Heres the plan. I have a fluval C3 and im taking all of the inside out.
Like thisView attachment 5595
Then i will cut the screen off of this for a coverView attachment 5596
Heres a video of the flow with nothing in it:
as you can see it is way to strong of a current. I will scale it back with a baffle.

i will use this black piece as a baffle: ok so i don't have a picture of it but its a good size for blocking the flow a little bit.

I will buy either sealent or superglue within a week!

Im gonna get this light to go with it!: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CM-48-48-LED-White-Blue-Aquarium-Clip-Lamp-Light-For-Fish-Tank-Plant-Grow-/350948982658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b6307f82