ecoBAK pellets

Bowhunter4250

anyone using these pellets to reduce PO4 and NO3 ?
wanted to try these in place of GFO but have never used pellets feed back , info ...

thanks

madjoe

Premium member
Pellets scare me i know way more horror stories then suscess specially with sps better off getting a turf scrubber or refugium i run a fuge and dont have issues like that in my reef only man made issues lol

Bowhunter4250

Pellets scare me i know way more horror stories then suscess specially with sps better off getting a turf scrubber or refugium i run a fuge and dont have issues like that in my reef only man made issues lol
thanks man , i do run a turf scrubber and have a fuge , the thing is tho with my fuge i cant grow macro at all ! i put cheato in there and it turns very thin and falls apart , i have a few other very small pieces of macro in there now and a few pieces have already died ??? so........ not enough NO3 ? whats the best way to reduce PO4 ? im running GFO and it helps , just looking for an easier way and a little more cost effective way to reduce these ?

thanks

Sawdonkey

Premium member
What does your PO4 test at? Are you sure it is high if you can't grow macro? GFO should do the trick, but maybe you need to replace it more often. When I started running GFO, my chaeto started to die.

I do run biopellets and I have for nearly two years. I feed a ton and have dirty fish, so the biopellets help me with nitrates. I run GFO too to address phosphates, but I only change it out once every couple of months. It's nearly a set-it-and-forget-it set up.

Bowhunter4250

What does your PO4 test at? Are you sure it is high if you can't grow macro? GFO should do the trick, but maybe you need to replace it more often. When I started running GFO, my chaeto started to die.

I do run biopellets and I have for nearly two years. I feed a ton and have dirty fish, so the biopellets help me with nitrates. I run GFO too to address phosphates, but I only change it out once every couple of months. It's nearly a set-it-and-forget-it set up.
WOW ! no kidding ? my PO4 runs from .03-.07 when it gets above this i change out my GFO .. but that's about once every 3 weeks ? i have a 180 with a total water volume of about 250 and maybe 10 fish . largest being a sailfin tang , i feed once a day with a mixture that i made from fresh shrimp, scallops , calamari , nori and reef chili ... my fish go nuts for it ... i also feed reef chili 2 times a week ..... i have an outbreak of cyano now and a little bit of green hair around my return lines.. i use the continuum polymer GFO in a reactor and a algae scrubber ? want to try to keep my PO4 down for as long as possible this every 3 week climb is crazy ?? dont know of other reasons why PO4 gets high ?

Bowhunter4250

aquarium specialty has an all in one pellet ? PO4 and NO3 reducer ?

Bowhunter4250

I've heard of these, but haven't done much research on them. Might be worth a try. I'll see what people are saying over at R2R.
sounds good , let me know what you think ? if im using media now in my reactor for reducing PO4 this might be worth it to try and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak ?
your using the ecoBAK plus correct ? and using GFO ?

Markemark

I have read great reviews on them also bought them but the pump wasnt strong enough to make them not clog they are a much heavier pellet, thats for sure. I switched back to the reef interests regular pellets and I also use the reef interests gfo PO4x4 whcih is the greatest gfo ever made. Trust me used every gfo out there lol from BRS to ROWAPHOS etc

Sawdonkey

Premium member
sounds good , let me know what you think ? if im using media now in my reactor for reducing PO4 this might be worth it to try and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak ?
your using the ecoBAK plus correct ? and using GFO ?
No, I use BRS generic biopellets and BRS high capacity GFO. Both seem to get the job done.

Bowhunter4250

I have read great reviews on them also bought them but the pump wasnt strong enough to make them not clog they are a much heavier pellet, thats for sure. I switched back to the reef interests regular pellets and I also use the reef interests gfo PO4x4 whcih is the greatest gfo ever made. Trust me used every gfo out there lol from BRS to ROWAPHOS etc
Hey mark ,
i bought your skimZ skimmer from you .... i tried that PO4X4 and i hated it ! it was a super fine partical , turned everything brown in my set up .... went with the continuum poylmer GFO ? I from a direct feed off my pump and i can get some pretty good flow going ? but hate to waste the money if i cant get it to work right ?

Markemark

Hey mark ,
i bought your skimZ skimmer from you .... i tried that PO4X4 and i hated it ! it was a super fine partical , turned everything brown in my set up .... went with the continuum poylmer GFO ? I from a direct feed off my pump and i can get some pretty good flow going ? but hate to waste the money if i cant get it to work right ?
Really I have had nothing but great luck with it, not only me but Tom the one you bought the Green Gig from I got him switched over to PO4x4 and he also loves it. By the way hows the skimmer working for you

Bowhunter4250

Really I have had nothing but great luck with it, not only me but Tom the one you bought the Green Gig from I got him switched over to PO4x4 and he also loves it. By the way hows the skimmer working for you
ya ... toms a nice guy ... that gig is a freaking MONSTER !!! its awesome looking but huge !! it ate a 5" foxface and a few others so far !! you should come over some time and check it out im right up the street from you ? the skimmer ..... well their was some issues with getting it dialed in and hasnt been too bad ? i wouldnt buy this brand again tho ....