Encrusting and branching

Bowhunter4250

Curious to why ???

i have a mixed reef , mostly sps of various kinds and sizes .. i have a few pieces that are branching out really nice but most of my sps are still small and very little growth as far as upwards branches so to speak ? now these same pieces will encrust like crazy !! is there something i can do to get them to grow upwards instead of just encrusting ?

jrpark22000

Premium member
It really depends on the species IMO. Some never encrust and others create a nice foot of an encrusted base before shooting up and branching out.

ColaAddict

If you have super high flow, they tend to encrust more first. Also, sometime frags that come from other tanks will not grow. New growth will come from new parts from encrustment. If you cut the tip of the original frag, you force the original frag to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowhunter4250

so would it really wouldnt hurt anything to go thru and cut the tips off of most of the branches that are there correct ? as long as the coral is healthy it will continue to grow correct ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
If you have super high flow, they tend to encrust more first. Also, sometime frags that come from other tanks will not grow. New growth will come from new parts from encrustment. If you cut the tip of the original frag, you force the original frag to grow.

ColaAddict

Just make sure the had plenty of time to heal ( not fresh frags ) and been in youre tank for awhile.