Fin/tail Rot

SteveV

Need some advise. I bought 2 fish from LFS put them in my QT and they both died. Both had what I think was fin rot and I wasn't able to treat. Thank God for a change I didn't put them directly into my DT.. Slowly learning! Anyhow, do I have to treat the QT before I buy any more fish? All I have in the tank is a bunch of PVC pipe with a canister filter and sponge filter (Bio)

wrasse

What is your source water? Do you have a heater? I had an underground heater issue on QT that was causing my fish to die.

SteveV

Yes, I have a heater that is steady at 79. 55 gallon tank-took about 20 gallons from DT and used about 25 gallons of RO/DI 1.025 salinity. ph 8.2

madjoe

Premium member
Thats kinda rare sounds more like ammonia issues i just had same issue with few fish that i slacked on keeping up with water quality

wrasse

What size is your main display and your qt? Maybe you can do small daily water changes from the main to the qt. What is the cause of fin rot? I thought it was poor nutrition?

SteveV

Madjoe, there were low levels of Ammonia in the QT tank I didn't think .25 would be bad? DT 120g w/20G ref. QT 55 gallon

madjoe

Premium member
Madjoe, there were low levels of Ammonia in the QT tank I didn't think .25 would be bad? DT 120g w/20G ref. QT 55 gallon
Its not great specially in a qt as there usually no or very low bacteria to get rid of it . How were the other parameters. Nitrates and such. Not saying it was fin rot for sure but its not a common issue that ive ssen had it once long time ago and didnt spread to other fish melifx cleared it up easily took while for fins to grow back . But i was qting a bunch of fish for someone that didnt tell me it be months i was under impression it be week or two any ways i got busy maintenance got put on hold while i built my prodject and found fin rot heavy breathing red irritated gills and then death was a ammonia spike im sure other parameters were off to but i knew as soon as i seen the fish getting the anmonia burn what it was i tried water changes but most were so far gone it would of been alot of work to save en all . Oh well wasnt my fish. Im just thinking since was both fish maybe water issue rather then fin rot . Prime and stability do wonders for qt tank hell even reef tanks in emergencies. Keeps fish alive at least

wrasse

.25 is iffy anytime ammonia is present there is a chance that it is going to be issues. QT problems come about with us trying to balance real environments for our fish with hospital environment for our fish. I think that's why some have success with no qt and excellent display perameters The ideal situation is excellent qt perameters. In your case treat your qt like a display. Live rock cycled, no medication, it may mean running a qt all the time and qt your new fish in the smaller fully run tank.

SteveV

I am leaning towards the ammonia from what you folks are saying. I'll throw some LR in the 55 and leave it for a week or two. Then I'll go get a fish or two and see what happens. Thanks a lot for your feedback!

SteveV

I wanted to be able to do Hypo in the QT tank to prevent MI. Cant do that with LR. Should I put LR in, let it stabilize and then slowly remove it so I can Hypo?

madjoe

Premium member
I wanted to be able to do Hypo in the QT tank to prevent MI. Cant do that with LR. Should I put LR in, let it stabilize and then slowly remove it so I can Hypo?
Never done hypo but stuff like seachem stability is bacteria works good for qting that and prime should be kept on hand just in case . Prime will make the ammonia non toxic to fish