Flow in a 20H

sparky5785

So I just set up this 20H budget tank and all I have is an old koralia 2(600gph). It does not seem to be enough flow. I'm looking at getting 2 Koralia Evolution 550's. Do you think this will be enough flow in the tank? I want moderate flow for the tank not to weak but not overly strong either please let me know what you think. Thank you.

Brandon

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

yogoshio

Look up a JBJ ocean stream unit. Nice and cheap, but either two 500 gph or 1600 gph, very wide flow pumps with a wavemaker.

sparky5785

Look up a JBJ ocean stream unit. Nice and cheap, but either two 500 gph or 1600 gph, very wide flow pumps with a wavemaker.
In your experience wider than koralias? Would two 500gph on opposite sides be enough do you think? How is the articulation of the powerhead?

yogoshio

I'd say so. The flow is MUCH wider than koralia. I had two of the 1600 gph in my 55, and it was perfect. The articulation is ALMOST as much as a koralia, but since the powerhead is wider its not quite as much, but still really useful.

The flow was wide enough that it covered 60% of my tank when they were on. I used another koralia 5 to cover the rest.

sparky5785

I'd say so. The flow is MUCH wider than koralia. I had two of the 1600 gph in my 55, and it was perfect. The articulation is ALMOST as much as a koralia, but since the powerhead is wider its not quite as much, but still really useful.

The flow was wide enough that it covered 60% of my tank when they were on. I used another koralia 5 to cover the rest.
If you think I'd be good with two of them in the tank I may go with them as they seem to be smaller and less intrusive which I like especially in such a small tank.

yogoshio

For a 20 gallon you should be fine. That'll be 1500 gph of flow, not including any filtration, which is 75x turnover.

sparky5785

For a 20 gallon you should be fine. That'll be 1500 gph of flow, not including any filtration, which is 75x turnover.
I will be removing the old koralia that is in there now so I'd be at 1000gph plus the prizm skimmer and power filter

yogoshio

Still more than enough. I forgot this is my old tank :) Have fun. This thing was perfect for small clowns and gobies.

sparky5785

It wasn't until you said prizm that it clicked, lol. Iiiiiiii'm dumb.
LOL nah thanks though for the help I'm going to call the doctors and place my order today. Yay. I'm still looking for a 4 bulb t5 light for it though might want some zoas and lps in there. Nobody here has one available (sad face).

Herbie

Banned
LOL nah thanks though for the help I'm going to call the doctors and place my order today. Yay. I'm still looking for a 4 bulb t5 light for it though might want some zoas and lps in there. Nobody here has one available (sad face).

see if you can find a finnex 24" with the LEDs. It a great light on my grow-out system. There are 9 LEDs and they have 2 settings, so they do actually add par instead of just pop.

http://www.aquacave.com/Finnex-24-LEDT5-Combo-Aluminum-Light-Fixture-4-x-T5-9-x-LED-P2474.aspx

sparky5785

Um, what? lol
All I was saying was I was going to place my order from Foster and Smith and just putting feelers out there that I am looking for a 4x24w t5 fixture in case anyone sees this and has one laying around or knows someone who might.

sparky5785

tomek77pl

I have a 20H setup right now and I had a mag 3 as a return pump and a karolia 1 and it worked great for 4 months but I started to get some hair algae on my sand so I upgraded to an mp10. Idk if my problem was due to wave maker as I still have algae so I think 2 koralias would be fine or maybe one koralia 2 and a koralia nano.