green algae in my frag tank only

Bowhunter4250

i have a huge green algae problem in my frag tank only ?? this is connected with my display and my fuge and everything else .... lighting is T5 4 bulb blue and purple plus bulbs. i check my NO3 and its checks zero , nothing in my display or anywhere else ??? why would i have such a bad algae problem in my frag tank only ? and how can i stop it ? lights are on for about 9 hrs and its a good 24" above the tank ?

thanks

madjoe

Premium member
Seen this many times in my buddies frag tank think was from egg crate only thing we can think of

rockhead

Same happened to my frag tank not as sever as you as your describing, but try to keep calm and let the tank do its thing as I did and in time it will slowly go away and be completely covered in coralline algae, I call it new syndrome. But I was also running a 250w halide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowhunter4250

Same happened to my frag tank not as sever as you as your describing, but try to keep calm and let the tank do its thing as I did and in time it will slowly go away and be completely covered in coralline algae, I call it new syndrome. But I was also running a 250w halide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i kinda thought the same thing as far as this being "NEW " even tho it is plummed into my main display ? but your saying just let it go and the algae will dissapear on its own ? i did have to scrape the walls and bottom but ive got a freakin ass wig growing on my loc-line ! :)

kdog23

NO3 at zero might mean it is zero because the algea is eating it up. Are you feeding the corals ? I worry about what I feed the corals/fish raising phospahtes --just guessing ou loud for yah.

Bowhunter4250

NO3 at zero might mean it is zero because the algea is eating it up. Are you feeding the corals ? I worry about what I feed the corals/fish raising phospahtes --just guessing ou loud for yah.
yes i feed my corals .... reef chili twice a week and PO4 is .03-.07

MMreef

You want to keep your PO4 no higher then .03, also do you have any clean up crew in your frag tank?

MMreef

You need some, there is no natural predation going on, so algae grows freely, put few snails in there, depending on size of your frag tank small algae grazin fish. Even with levels colse to zero ( PO4,NO3), you will have algae slowly grow without algae eating fish and inverts. Just my .02 cents. :)

madjoe

Premium member
yes i have egg crate in my frag tank ?? How would that be creating the algae ? And did your buddy ever get rid of it ?
We were suspecting new egg crate leaching phosphates he switched to his old egg crate and priblem went away . We never proved it was just a thought his old egg crate was black also so maybe the white reflected the light more like the stuff in algae scrubbers u never see them use black right lol