guns!

roilciuc

I noticed in the previous post that many of you here have guns or collect guns. I only have one small 22 caliber rifle. I am moving out soon and would like to purchase a handgun before I do. I was planning on going to a gun show to get a cheaper gone. Do any of you guys know the best way to get one and where I can find gun shows. Are there any other alternatives to going to a gun show besides going and paying a lot of money for a new gun at the store. Also what kind of handgun would you recommend as a first gun. I do have my foid card of course. Thank you for your help.

steveo9043

I plan on picking one up soon too. My uncle lost the key to the top part of his gun safe and has a 9mm of some kind sitting in it. I told him I would pay for the lock smith to get it open if I can have it.

He also has a gorgeous over under antique shotgun. I love shooting it when we go trap shooting.

roilciuc

Well in that case is anybody selling a handgun. I'm planning on going to the gun show because I heard a lot of times you can just offer cash in to pick up a gun over there. What is a really good first handgun? I have a friend in Atlanta who has a over under shotgun and he loves it he picked up from the gun show for $200 and is well worth over a thousand

madjoe

Premium member
I know they have gun shows at dupage county fair grounds some times but I don't know the schedule

Gary

You still have to follow IL Laws when getting a pistol from a gun show, you got a three day wait. Any seller not following those rules and offering to sell you one for cash with no paperwork is shady IMO and not worth the risk of the shitty state getting on your ***.

armslist.com has some sweet deals sometimes.

Illinois Carry dot Com has some good deals and most of the folks over there are legit.

To answer your question on what is a good first firearm, well having just one is bad so get like 6 so you are well covered. :) LOL

roilciuc

I like your advice Gary! I don't mind waiting the three days but is there a chance for the buyer to scam me while I wait? I'll check those sites. I also found a McHenry gun show on oct 27 so I might go to that one.

Joe5688

Well in that case is anybody selling a handgun. I'm planning on going to the gun show because I heard a lot of times you can just offer cash in to pick up a gun over there. What is a really good first handgun? I have a friend in Atlanta who has a over under shotgun and he loves it he picked up from the gun show for $200 and is well worth over a thousand
I picked up a beretta px4 for my first handgun. I did a ton of research prior to buying it and found only good reviews. Its deff an awesome gun. I got the full size and even my gf can shoot/**** it. Deff look jnto it as an option

Gary

I like your advice Gary! I don't mind waiting the three days but is there a chance for the buyer to scam me while I wait? I'll check those sites. I also found a McHenry gun show on oct 27 so I might go to that one.
Doubtful.

Look at all the different hand guns and buy the ones that feels the best in your hand, if you don't have much experience in shooting pistols then I'd go with a lower Caliber. IE 9mm.

I personally have a Glock 27 as my CCW pistol.

DD

"Rambo"
Doubtful.

Look at all the different hand guns and buy the ones that feels the best in your hand, if you don't have much experience in shooting pistols then I'd go with a lower Caliber. IE 9mm.

I personally have a Glock 27 as my CCW pistol.
+1

I bought a 45 as my first. Dumbest thing ever. First time I shot it, it kicked so hard that I didn't really feel like shooting it anymore lol! The huge flame coming out of the end of the barrel didn't help much either. Not the best caliber to get as a first handgun. 9mm would have been a much nicer intro to handguns.

roilciuc

I've shot 9mm before and they were easy to shoot so I'll go with that. Eventually I'll get more but I do go to Texas every winter so I can easily get them over there for a lot less

misenplace101

As suggested, go and look at all types of guns, then decide what your main purpose (target, security, hunting, all around, collecting...). This will help in which type of gun and caliber you will focus on. Gat guns is a great place to start IMO, better than Bass Pro or Cabella's. At Gat they have real knowledgeable sales people that are in the hobby and have shot many rounds and know their stuff.

I'm going to go pick up my new kimber 1911 today :0

BigKev23

+1

I bought a 45 as my first. Dumbest thing ever. First time I shot it, it kicked so hard that I didn't really feel like shooting it anymore lol! The huge flame coming out of the end of the barrel didn't help much either. Not the best caliber to get as a first handgun. 9mm would have been a much nicer intro to handguns.
I love my Beretta 92FS 9mm.... my next purchase is the Beretta Nano.

Gary

Picture is too small, but what Caliber does the mag say? Either way, I'd say it's a C.

The mags that say LE / Govt use only are just mags that were assigned to Govt issue pistols. I have a few as well but they are not anything special IMO.

BigBarnacles

I recommend starting with a 9mm. Most ranges rent guns. This is a good way to get a feel for different styles and grips before you make a purchase. I can tell you that you can't go wrong with Glock, H & K, IWI (now Magnum Research I believe), Springfield, or Beretta for your first.