harlequin shrimp

Smitty

Premium member
Good morning reef family, I have a quick question...
My tank is starting to become overrun by asteria stars, so I'm considering a harlequin shrimp, but I also have 2 nice sized brittle stars in my tank too. Will the harlequin shrimp eventually go after and eat the brittle stars after all the asteria's are gone? Or better yet, will they ignore the asteria's and go right for the brittle stars instead?

enzo1028

Premium member
I bought a serpent star to feed to my Harlequins. The star was way too fast for them, they tried going after it once and couldn't even touch it. The Harlequins will clear up the asteria problem really fast, so prepare to feed them chocolate chip starfish

Smitty

Premium member
I've already caught one of the brittles and placed it into the sump as a precaution. And once the second one comes out, I'll throw him down there too. And once all the asterias are depleted, I'll just sale or rotate the shrimp to someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
Yea serpents may attack the shrimp ive even seen vids of latge enough serpents go after smaller fish . Although my wrasses destroy the serpents lol i use to find legs every where

carpetreef75

Premium member
I've already caught one of the brittles and placed it into the sump as a precaution. And once the second one comes out, I'll throw him down there too. And once all the asterias are depleted, I'll just sale or rotate the shrimp to someone else.

Smitty u wont have a problem, i have a Harlequin in with 4 brittles, 4 serpent, and a sand sifting starfish and he has'nt bothered anybody and thinning the asterias herd down quickly .

Smitty

Premium member

Ok, that's good to know. I was gonna remove one of them anyway. I guess this precaution was a motivating factor. Again, thanks for your advice.
Smitty u wont have a problem, i have a Harlequin in with 4 brittles, 4 serpent, and a sand sifting starfish and he has'nt bothered anybody and thinning the asterias herd down quickly .