heater mystery

wrasse

After a water change last night before going to bed I took a look at my apex one last time and noticed my temperature at 81.5 and rising it went above 82 and I thought if I did nothing I would have:dead:. My apex is set at 77-78 degrees it hasn't ever gone above or below that range in almost 3 years.
My heaters are a fixxex 300 in the display and an Eheim Jager in the sump.
I monkeyed with the apex controls, checked my connections, moved things around thinking I damaged something while working on the water change. at the time of my water I also raised the level of my skimmer a little over an inch with egg crate and pvc. and my return for GFO went into the chamber for my temp probe. (I moved the gfo return back to original chamber.)
After hours of adjusting and waiting to see what temp would do I eventually pulled the finnex placed the heater from the sump into the display and added a different Jager heater to the sump and the temprature went down to 80-80.2 for the past 8 hours. I noticed my amps on the apex became more steady. My amps use to spike and go down now they spike very little.
So, any ideas why is my temperature is still higher then what I have the apex set for?
:sherlock:

Irsug1

Premium member
Do you have other temperature sensors you could try to see where your temperature is at? It is possible that the temp probe is out of calibration. Or perhaps one heater is stuck on?