help!! getting a 110 gallon tank with overflows, have a lot of questions!

Hey all, I'm getting a 110 gallon tank with built in overflows, can I take them off? I've never done a sump, all my equipment in my current tank is hob. Guys I need a advice please!

Drdavis

Premium member
Where are they located? Is there an overflow or are bulkheads just drilled in the back wall of the tank? You can plug them using PVC and some plugs but if I were in you're shoes with a 110 I would want a sump. The HOB equipment will most likely not be able to keep up and you will have algae problems. A sump/refugium would allow you to have macro algae and a skimmer which normally equals a healthier tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I figured I would need to do sump, the over flows are located in each opposite back corners. It's an oceanic thank so they are bulky in. The pipes just lead straight down into the cabinet. I really don't want to invest more than I should, how can I build a sump? I have reef octopus bh 2000, can I use it in the sump?

ToddR

I would do a sump. Could make your own out of a 40 breeder, just use some acrylic for the baffles --- I personally like to do this;
Inflow/skimmer section.
Single baffle.
Fuge.
Bubble trap, 3 baffles, over/under/over
Return section.

As an example, the 20 gallon sump for a 75 laid out in that fashion (( just reversed, with the skimmer/inflow on the right ))

What would I need to make a non expensive sump? Lol can I still use my hob reef octupus skimmer in there or do I need to get a new one?

ToddR

What would I need to make a non expensive sump? Lol can I still use my hob reef octupus skimmer in there or do I need to get a new one?

Would need a 40 breeder -- if you find a $1 sale, should be $40 plus tax
Acrylic, I prefer 1/4 inch over 1/8, holds a lot better
Silicone.

Perhaps $100-$150.

As for the skimmer, not sure what model, but would think that a HOB one would be undersized for a 110.

[MENTION=4]lunacris[/MENTION], well I mean having to invest more than I am already on the tank, I got everything else I need from my current set up, but I've never done a sump, I do have a reef octopus bh 2000 skimmer, and my power heads, heater and all that stuff will just be transferred over. Its just the sump, if I can work with what I have great, if not how much would I be looking to put in?

ToddR

That skimmer could work in the short term with a very very light bio-load, but I personally wouldn't use it long term.

Plus, if you are going to have a sump, better to use an in-sump skimmer, will get better performance.

erok90

Don't worry about it just do your research.there are a ton of videos on youtube and diagrams online on how to build one. Heres my first one I ever did just from watching you tube.

anarchy

The middle one is raised up so the water has to go over the first one under the middle one and over the last one

Pfisherman

I agree that leaving the overflows and doing a little bit at a time would be your best bet, it will pay off for you in the long run. It doesn't have to be brand new stuff either, and you can likely get alot for free. Great deals are easy to be had on the market place here on CR and the "reef clubs" on facebook, and don't forget Craigslist.

A quality skimmer is very important, there can usually be found for around $150 give or take on this very forum. 1000rrstunna has a 40b for sale now for I think 50-75$ and I saw a 50b on here for $50. There was also a 30 in the pif section last week.

Silicone and plexi is gonna cost around 50-75. Plumbing about the same, all at home depot.

A submersible return pump (magdrive) can be had new for<$100.

What kinda power heads are you running? Jeabo WP series are pretty popular and affordable, <75 but I just picked up nib koralias at reef plus for $80.

Ebo jager heater is like 45 or so at aqua pros.

Are you a reef keeper or FO guy? Big reef needs big light, this is what separates the men from the boys. Is a 110 four feet or six? Leds or mh you will need two fixtures to get adequate coverage with four footer and three for a 72" dt.

Reef crystals are gonna cost $100 just to flip the power switch, and do you have an RODI?

Umm what else... Don't forget about a stand, a 110 is gonna weigh in at around 1000 pounds with the sump so think sturdy.

Have fun and good luck, shop smart.

Great info everyone, and I have everything I need, the tank is 5 feet long I do have my 48 inch coralife 2 bulb fixture, the only thing is how to make a sump and can I use my hob skimmer, and I only do fowlr guys.

Look at some YouTube videos on how tot turn a glass tank into a sump/refugium.. they helped out a lot when I was building mines... I probably spend like $25 at home depot.