Here I Go Again

Mpdan

Premium member
New job, new house, new tank. Sold my 28 gallon DB cube and all of my equipment sometime around June now I am itching to get back. Going with a 80 gallon DB edge 48x24x16, 2 - Hydra 32, 2 - Nero5, Bashsea 36 biofuge sump, Jebao DCQ-8000 return pump, Simplicity 240DC skimmer. Going to start building the stand next weekend when I pick up the tank.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Mpdan

Premium member
I want to hard plumb the sump this time and have never done it. I have a few questions if anyone can help.
1) Union placement/how many?
2) Manifold now in case i add reactors or wait and add later?
3) Glue drain line into the sump?

Mpdan

Premium member
Looks great! I love those Infinity AC fans! I have a single and a double in my canopy.
They look awesome on some tanks I have seen. I had a moisture/smell problem in the last stand I had and am hoping to avoid that this time with some air exchange.

fishyfish22

Premium member
I want to hard plumb the sump this time and have never done it. I have a few questions if anyone can help.
1) Union placement/how many?
2) Manifold now in case i add reactors or wait and add later?
3) Glue drain line into the sump?
1. Visualize yourself taking apart the plumbing down the road. Wherever you feel like you'll have to cut, add a union. In addition to that before and after sensors or valves.
Don't use the white PVC valves, use true union ball valves. The true union ball valves. The white pvc ball valves are very well known for having the ball swell up, and then refusing/taking a lot of force to turn down the road. In addition to the the true union ball valves come with unions at each end.

2. if you're going to be hard plumbing I'd recommend adding a manifold now. Worst case scenario you can always leave the valves in an off position, but since you're getting into it now might as well do it all in one go so you're not taking apart your plumbing later

3.The sump drain line looks like a bulkhead, if that's the case and you can remove it down the road I would glue it with a union slightly above it.

I'm going to be uploading the plumbing part of my build on my thread later today if you want to take a look at what I did!

Last edited:

Mpdan

Premium member
Building the stand today ran into my horribly out of level basement floor. The floor is out of level by 3/4" from front to back. Should I build the stand to account for this or shim it?

fishyfish22

Premium member
Building the stand today ran into my horribly out of level basement floor. The floor is out of level by 3/4" from front to back. Should I build the stand to account for this or shim it?

Build flat, then shim. That's a pretty wide gap though so you're going to want a lot of supports between front and back of tank in your frame

Mpdan

Premium member
Build flat, then shim. That's a pretty wide gap though so you're going to want a lot of supports between front and back of tank in your frame
Thank you I was thinking of getting it up and then putting blocking on the inside.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Looks like fun. It’s always fun to set up a. We build and it looks like you’re doing it thoughtfully. I’ll probably move to a new house in the next year and I’m just dreaming about how I’d do a new build.

Mpdan

Premium member
1. Visualize yourself taking apart the plumbing down the road. Wherever you feel like you'll have to cut, add a union. In addition to that before and after sensors or valves.
Don't use the white PVC valves, use true union ball valves. The true union ball valves. The white pvc ball valves are very well known for having the ball swell up, and then refusing/taking a lot of force to turn down the road. In addition to the the true union ball valves come with unions at each end.

2. if you're going to be hard plumbing I'd recommend adding a manifold now. Worst case scenario you can always leave the valves in an off position, but since you're getting into it now might as well do it all in one go so you're not taking apart your plumbing later

3.The sump drain line looks like a bulkhead, if that's the case and you can remove it down the road I would glue it with a union slightly above it.

I'm going to be uploading the plumbing part of my build on my thread later today if you want to take a look at what I did!
Where did you pick up your plumbing parts? I just went on brs $300 in the shopping cart!

fishyfish22

Premium member
I know it seems high but I have no idea hard plumbing is something I have never done

The biggest cost is the valves but they're worth it in the end. If you're running a dc pump, which you are with the jebao, you can get away without using the gate valve on the return.

If you're running a durso drain and not a bean animal or a herbie, you DO NOT want a gate valve on your drain tubing. The valve is for regulating the flow down it, to balance the water level between the main drain and the emergency one. You have two drain holes in the sump, so I assumed you were running an emergency drain as well but if not then there's no need for the second gate valve

If you're going schedule 40 you can also save a bit by just getting the long segments of pvc tubing, down side is then you don't the aesthetic and will have white tubing in your build.

For the color maybe you can paint the outsides of it? Tape off and paint segments individually with a reef safe paint.

If you did want to break the plumbing into 2, and do the manifold at a later date, you can install a union where the manifold would be and put a stop cap in it.

Mpdan

Premium member
Awesome thank you. I will only have 1 drain. I wasn't sure about the gate valves for the drain and the return I just see them on other set ups. I really appreciate the help.

Mpdan

Premium member
Got some more of the stand done today. Hopefully I will have the rest put together tomorrow and get it painted. Does anyone have a Simplicity skimmer? Looking for a way to mount the controller besides using the velcro strip that came with it.

fishyfish22

Premium member
Got some more of the stand done today. Hopefully I will have the rest put together tomorrow and get it painted. Does anyone have a Simplicity skimmer? Looking for a way to mount the controller besides using the velcro strip that came with it.

It's looking really good! Can we see the back of the controller?

Mpdan

Premium member
It's small I wish they would have at least put a screw loop on the top like the Jebao pump controller