Hitchhiker crab ID

DD

"Rambo"
Just found this little guy in a nook in my live rock. Any idea what it could be? Front claws are tiny and from what I can tell they're not black. He is hairy however. View attachment 9049

Thanks in advance.

Smitty

Premium member
Yeah, although they are cool lil guys...they can be quite destructive to a reef as they get bigger.

DD

"Rambo"
Yeah, although they are cool lil guys...they can be quite destructive to a reef as they get bigger.
I wonder if my freshwater fish would like a snack lol! They're community fish but I do have a large angel who may appreciate it. Any harm in feeding this to them or am I better off humanly dispatching it?

Smitty

Premium member
If you have a sump/refugium, you could put him in there. I'm sure carnivorous fw fish would love to have him, I know my Oscars loved crabs, but I don't know how long it would last in fw before it would die. Hopefully the fish eat it fast. :)

markitekt

He looks similar to what I sometimes find in cultured SPS colonies. The hairy ones with freaky looking eyes are usually bad news. I've never seen one living outside an SPS colony though.

DD

"Rambo"
If you have a sump/refugium, you could put him in there. I'm sure carnivorous fw fish would love to have him, I know my Oscars loved crabs, but I don't know how long it would last in fw before it would die. Hopefully the fish eat it fast. :)
I used to have oscars. One was an albino tiger and the other was a regular tiger. They were awesome! The only problem was when i would go to do a gravel cleaning, I would literally have to chase them with the python so that I wouldn't get bit! I know they can't hurt you but I would jump every single time. Actually had my light fall in the tank one time with my hand in there. Of course I grabbed it while my hand was still in the water. Dumb.... I have some botias who would munch that crab to pieces so I may just throw it in there. They'll eat anything! Thanks again for the ID.

He's cool, so small hahaha
Yeah it is so tiny! I wish I had a sump or fuge to throw him in.

DD

"Rambo"
I used to have oscars. One was an albino tiger and the other was a regular tiger. They were awesome! The only problem was when i would go to do a gravel cleaning, I would literally have to chase them with the python so that I wouldn't get bit! I know they can't hurt you but I would jump every single time. Actually had my light fall in the tank one time with my hand in there. Of course I grabbed it while my hand was still in the water. Dumb.... I have some botias who would munch that crab to pieces so I may just throw it in there. They'll eat anything! Thanks again for the ID.

He's cool, so small hahaha
Yeah it is so tiny! I wish I had a sump or fuge to throw him in.