How many snails?

bootz63

I was looking at buying a larger clean up crew so was looking on the reef cleaners web site. When I looked at their "quick crews" I was a little surprised at the # of snails that rec for the amount of gallons I have "135" . In total with the four dif kinds there is almost 250 snails! I am newbie but sounded like a lot. Does any one have any advice on the # and types I should have?

lunacris

Ive heard the old per gallon rule which is cool unless they run out of food you find the happy place as your system matures

Tangency

The website pre-packed cleanup crews always seemed excessive to me.

In the end, I decided to pick up a mix of 10~20 snails and crabs at a time from the LFS. Populations will balance with the availability of food and your water quality. I recommend adding a few at a time (every few weeks) as you see fit.

For example: my system is a one year old 90 gallon, over the course of a few months, I have added 10 red legged hermit crabs, 10 blue legged hermit crabs, 20 astera snails, 10 nassarius snails, and a ton of Collinista snails that have hitchhiked on the live rock. Currently, I am down to about half of the original population.