Jebao RW8 in a BC29

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Hey all picked up 2 Jebao RW8s from another member the other day. I haven't put them in my tank yet. Wanted to get your opinion if you think this is too much for a BC29. I was going to put it on the lowest setting and alternate on off. Pretty sure I can't use either wave function or random setting so will just alternate flow. Right now I have 2 koralias one 240 and one 425. Everything is doing well but thought I'd see if I could increase flow. Thanks in advance!

98silverado

Yeah that won't end well at all. Had a rw4 in my 46 and it was insane

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Fish_wiz2

Too much on the stock power supply. I have an RW4 with a variable power supply on a tiny 5 gallon macro algae tank and anything over 3 speed is too much. I'm down to 15V and at 1 speed on else mode its perfect.

Note that a variable power supply can void your warranty is and is not the safest thing to do.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Too much on the stock power supply. I have an RW4 with a variable power supply on a tiny 5 gallon macro algae tank and anything over 3 speed is too much. I'm down to 15V and at 1 speed on else mode its perfect.

Note that a variable power supply can void your warranty is and is not the safest thing to do.
tHANKS FOR THE RESPONSES ALL. to clarify Im not doing anything special with the power. I'm using a setting on the controller that turns one pump on and one pump off alternating them every minute. that said it sounds like these are too much for a bc29 even on the lowest setting so I guess i'll keep them set aside until i get a bigger tank thanks again!

Paulip

According to Amazon: 8 different flow rates from 180 to 2,100gph.

I would want at least 800 gph each. in alternating mode for SPS. Your rock work is a big factor. Stir up some sand/put some food in and watch the flow. Work the angles and bounces, flow wise.

I am running total 900 gph+ in a Biocube 14 24/7. My torch coral does not indicate rough water. Zoas are in a major flow zone as well, but remain fully open. I actually like the "longneck" look when there is too much flow. Thought my pumps were broke, but they are clean and running.. Also, I am pointing the more powerful pump to the surface to produce major surface agitation.

Last edited:

Fish_wiz2

tHANKS FOR THE RESPONSES ALL. to clarify Im not doing anything special with the power. I'm using a setting on the controller that turns one pump on and one pump off alternating them every minute. that said it sounds like these are too much for a bc29 even on the lowest setting so I guess i'll keep them set aside until i get a bigger tank thanks again!
Doesn't hurt to try, if anything you'll just have sand everywhere for a bit. The best part about these are the are controllable and W1 mode is very soft compared to constant current.

According to Amazon: 8 different flow rates from 180 to 2,100gph.

I would want at least 800 gph each. in alternating mode for SPS. Your rock work is a big factor. Stir up some sand/put some food in and watch the flow. Work the angles and bounces, flow wise.

I am running total 900 gph+ in a Biocube 14 24/7. My torch coral does not indicate rough water. Zoas are in a major flow zone as well, but remain fully open. I actually like the "longneck" look when there is too much flow. Thought my pumps were broke, but they are clean and running.. Also, I am pointing the more powerful pump to the surface to produce major surface agitation.
What are you using for flow in your 14? Personally I can't see 900 in a 14. I was doing 700 via a MP10 in my old BC29 and that was much even for a barebottom tank.

Paulip

Koralia 425 and Sun Sun JVP-110 (528). So, thats 425 and 528 gph, respectively. Additionally, the return pump is MJ900 (230gph). Let the corals be your guide. I have mushroom dangling on a rock and euphilias that are barely moving.

At first, everybody was getting rocked. So I ran on timed intervals. But I've picked up some large SPS frags since, which break up the flow even more. So, I left it all on with none getting direct current. Perhaps, the old Koralia or the cheap sun sun is not running at rated output...

FYI: I don't have fish. That would be a concern.

Last edited:

Fish_wiz2

Koralia 425 and Sun Sun JVP-110 (528). So, thats 425 and 528 gph, respectively. Additionally, the return pump is MJ900 (230gph). Let the corals be your guide. I have mushroom dangling on a rock and euphilias that are barely moving.

At first, everybody was getting rocked. So I ran on timed intervals. But I've picked up some large SPS frags since, which break up the flow even more. So, I left it all on with none getting direct current. Perhaps, the old Koralia or the cheap sun sun is not running at rated output...

FYI: I don't have fish. That would be a concern.
The koralia I agree on, the sun suns not so much. I personally find them overrated in terms of flow. My last set, rated for I remember ~425gph, was no where near my old Koralia 1 which is rated for 400gph (old school koralias not the evos).

Not knocking you, if it works for your tank great, but I hated my Sun Sun's and even my Koralias. Went Tunze after that in my early 75 gallon reef and never looked back. Then the MP10 in the BC29 as I didn't like the look of nanostreams in the tank.

Paulip

The koralia I agree on, the sun suns not so much. I personally find them overrated in terms of flow. My last set, rated for I remember ~425gph, was no where near my old Koralia 1 which is rated for 400gph (old school koralias not the evos).

Not knocking you, if it works for your tank great, but I hated my Sun Sun's and even my Koralias. Went Tunze after that in my early 75 gallon reef and never looked back. Then the MP10 in the BC29 as I didn't like the look of nanostreams in the tank.
No offense taken. There's definitely a big difference with flow patterns. And, I do suspect that the output stepped down after a few months.

I observed the koralias flow cone contracts and expand, simulating a pulse without voltage changes. The sun sun is just simple stream. Sun suns are definitely, cheap. But it has the nicest profile (imho), of the cheap pumps. I got it as a salt mixer but ended up liking it.

I do like those pumps that have the motor outside and behind the glass. Less heat, extra space and no potential grounding problem. Tunze is good stuff.

Last edited:

Fish_wiz2

No offense taken. There's definitely a big difference with flow patterns. And, I do suspect that the output stepped down after a few months.

I observed the koralias flow cone contracts and expand, simulating a pulse without voltage changes. The sun sun is just simple stream. Sun suns are definitely, cheap. But it has the nicest profile (imho), of the cheap pumps. I got it as a salt mixer but ended up liking it.

I do like those pumps that have the motor outside and behind the glass. Less heat, extra space and no potential grounding problem. Tunze is good stuff.
I agree fully, my cheap controllable Jebao is starting to cut down on flow as it gets "dirty" but I'm too lazy to clean it and it does make it better suited as it started as too much for my tank.

Also, one downside to the vortech are they are audible. Maybe the newer quiet drives fixed this but I could hear my old MP10 hum and it was very annoying.