Koi pond

98silverado

Looking to start my koi pond next spring. I'm getting ready to get my hole dug at least this year so I'm not dealing with super soft ground in spring. It will roughly be about 650-700 gallons by the time I'm done. My father in law has a beautiful pond already and has been helping me with what to do and what not to do. I am just wondering if there is anyone else on here that has or had one. Also looking for some equipment. Mainly need a skimmer box if anyone has an extra for sale.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fish_wiz2

Yessir. Any questions feel free to ask. Wish I knew you were getting in sooner I basically gave a away a Savio Skimmer.

98silverado

Yessir. Any questions feel free to ask. Wish I knew you were getting in sooner I basically gave a away a Savio Skimmer.

Well that's just my luck lol. I just decided to do one a couple weeks ago after sitting and watching my father in laws. Have always wanted to do one but never had anyone guide me through it. Picture is my father in laws

98silverado

Also what type of filtration you running? I have been told to make/use a Skippy filter

Fish_wiz2

Also what type of filtration you running? I have been told to make/use a Skippy filter

Your father's pond looks good! More water garden then koi pond but definitely a eye pleaser.

I'm currently doing skimmer and retro bottom drain to a UV then a big shower filter. I have a big K1 bead filter but I took it offline this season due to some issues with my plumbing. You want to buy a big bead filter? LOL I'm looking to upgrade my pond in a year.

98silverado

Your father's pond looks good! More water garden then koi pond but definitely a eye pleaser.

I'm currently doing skimmer and retro bottom drain to a UV then a big shower filter. I have a big K1 bead filter but I took it offline this season due to some issues with my plumbing. You want to buy a big bead filter? LOL I'm looking to upgrade my pond in a year.
Lol thanks but I dont need a big filter. I'm going to try and just get a nice pond going at first with some fish and maybe transition into nicer fish but for now ill still to the cheaper "goldfish" lol. I just want something nice to sit by and enjoy looking at.

Fish_wiz2

Lol thanks but I dont need a big filter. I'm going to try and just get a nice pond going at first with some fish and maybe transition into nicer fish but for now ill still to the cheaper "goldfish" lol. I just want something nice to sit by and enjoy looking at.

Totally understandable, I got a little too addicted to this. Sold my reef and pumped all my money into this, it's easier and the family enjoys it better whereas reef was just myself. My older koi (lost a lot this last winter) would eat from my hand, training my new babies to do the same.

If you do stick with a skippy filter, make it so that you can drain it easily and quickly, they don't filter well if you don't keep the bottoms clean. I'd suggest a shower filter as it's very effective and easy to DIY, which I did mine it's just an eye sore if you can't hide it. Also, do whatever it takes to plumb the pond for easy water changes, accounting for both water IN and OUT.

98silverado

Totally understandable, I got a little too addicted to this. Sold my reef and pumped all my money into this, it's easier and the family enjoys it better whereas reef was just myself. My older koi (lost a lot this last winter) would eat from my hand, training my new babies to do the same.

If you do stick with a skippy filter, make it so that you can drain it easily and quickly, they don't filter well if you don't keep the bottoms clean. I'd suggest a shower filter as it's very effective and easy to DIY, which I did mine it's just an eye sore if you can't hide it. Also, do whatever it takes to plumb the pond for easy water changes, accounting for both water IN and OUT.
I'll keep that in mind. Thank you