Logan Featured Reef

Logan Kreitzer [Logan 12]
55 g Mixed Reef

(Click on Image for larger Image)

I was introduced to the world of reef aquariums at the age of 15 and have been active in the hobby for
9 years now. I began with a 29 gallon reef tank, which housed many soft corals. The hobby has had its
challenges throughout the years for me, but the main challenge was cost. Working at local grocery store
part time during high school, I was not racking in the cash. So my systems have always been simple
and on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I have been through my share of tanks, up to 4 at one time.
Currently I have just the 55 gallon mixed reef featured, and a small 14 gallon frag tank.

Lighting

In the beginning I was running PC’s 50/50s, this is the lighting that the local fish store carried and my
only option that I knew of. After being in the hobby and discovering online forums I was quick to switch
to T5’s. I purchased the Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb fixture. After running the stock bulbs for a year I
switched to GE and ATI bulbs.

Current bulbs from front to back

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue special
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K (daylight bulb)
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Two actinic on from 12:00pm until 9:00pm
All other lights are on from 1:00pm until 8:00pm

This lighting schedule is reduced during the summer

Filtration

For filtration I run a 12 gallon sump, which houses my 125 Coralife skimmer. I run a bag of carbon which
gets changed every month or two.

Flow

I currently run 4 Koralia number 1 powerheads along with 2 Koralia nanos. I have just recently added
a Vortech MP 10 to the tank which is on a slow wave pulse mode. I am always adding more flow do to
coral growth.

Maintenance

I add a two part solution to the tank daily. I add strontium, Iodide and extra calcium every Saturday. I
do not do any water changes on the tank. I only add top off water to the tank when needed.

As far as feeding goes I feed my fish daily. They usually get a mix of brine, flake food and of course nori
for the tang. I feed my corals every once in awhile, but not very often.

Fish

Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma veliferum)
Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
Sixline Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
Clown Fish (Amphiprion percula)

Inverts

Anenome, Green Bulb Tipped, Electric Blue Maxima, ORA Derasa Clam, Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp

SPS

Orange Montipora Digitata, Purple Montipora Digitata, Pink Birdsnest, Green Slimer, Red Millipora, Blue
Tipped Staghorn, ORA Chips Acropora, Tri Color Acropora

LPS

Hammer, Frogspawn, Torch, Blasomusa Merletti , Blastomusa Wellsi, ORA Ducans, Green Favia, Chalice
Coral, Neon Green Candy Cane, Regular Blue Candy Cane, Red Green Candy Cane

Softies/Polyps

Variety of Toadstools, Figure leathers, Kenya Tree, Large variety of Zoanthids, Green Nepthea, Anthellia ,
Neon Green Star Polyps, Regular Green Star Polyps, Devils Hand, Yellow Star polyps, Mushrooms, Xenia
Leather

Comments