Looking to upgrade skimmer and return pump.. Suggestions

Jep21

Skimmer i currently have is classic reef octo int 160 skimmer and return is a mag 5

Any suggestion for a better alternative to the twi that are silent and produce little heat lmk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
im considering upgrading my return for to the ECOTECH MARINE VECTRA M1- 2,000 GPH
What size tank and how many outputs on your return? I just upgraded to the M1 with 4' head height and four return line outputs and it does a pretty decent job. Also it doesn't add much of any heat at all to the tank. Very nice for that reason specifically!

Jep21

What size tank and how many outputs on your return? I just upgraded to the M1 with 4' head height and four return line outputs and it does a pretty decent job. Also it doesn't add much of any heat at all to the tank. Very nice for that reason specifically!
Have a 40g tank with 27g cube sump 2 return outputs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I don't think you would have anything to worry about with an M1. You wouldn't even need to run the pump very high (and you calibrate it for the max you would run it for the tank so it never goes too high). Silent and minimal to no heat.

Jep21

I don't think you would have anything to worry about with an M1. You wouldn't even need to run the pump very high (and you calibrate it for the max you would run it for the tank so it never goes too high). Silent and minimal to no heat.

Thanks bro.. Deaf the controllability and the silent and no heat is what is getting me for this pump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like the fluval line of return pumps. SP2, SP4, SP6. I have the SP6 on the 120. I have the SP6 feeding fuge, 120, UV, calcium reactor without any issues. Super amount of flow out of a in sump pump and 3 year warranty. I had jebao and wouldn't trust that pump for my live stock.

Spartanman22

I say go big or go home, Bubble King Double Cone 130 .

I have a similar sized system and I was seriously entertaining the following skimmers: BK Double Cone 130, Vertex Omega 130, RLSS R6i (R5i supposedly being released soon), Aquamaxx COS-1, and Skimz SN 143.

I ultimately decided to just hold off on replacing my skimmer since I'm upgrading to a larger system in 6 months anyways. No point in buying 2 skimmers.

When planning my upgrade my top too contenders for returns were the Ecotech Vectra and the BK speedy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Broadfield

I also have the M1 and am very pleased with it. However, it would be way overkill on a 40g... pretty pricey pump to only use it at 25%. FWIW, I have a basically brand new Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 for sale. It's virtually as silent as the M1 and will still do 1300gph. Just let me know if you are interested.

Spartanman22

I just went bought an EcoTech Vectra M1 today. It seemed like the best/most reasonable pump on the market. If money wasn't an option I'd obviously go with a Red Dragon or Abyzz, but the M1 seems to be a top notch return pump. Plus you get EcoTech's great service.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk