Low dkh

Mpdan

Premium member
I have been getting low all reading on the tank. 7.1, 7.3, 6.8. Doing weekly 10 gallon water changes. Just tested fresh batch of saltwater dkh 6.8 so I think it may e mixing low (Aquavitro Salinity). Just picked up Seachem Fusion 1&2 to try to raise the all. I saw the brs calculator but for the life of me I cannot understand dosing/supplementing. Had water tested today at 2 shops calcium 420/390 alk 6.9/6.8. Mushrooms and zoas in the tank added 3 sps frags 2 weeks or so ago nothing should be using up the elements right now. Can anyone give me some pointers before I screw this up haha. Thanks

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Deezill

Premium member
1.) If you could answer a couple of questions maybe I could help. What size tank do you have?
2.) You said calculator, which are you using?
I don't know much about Seachem fusion and I am sure it is a fine product but maybe you should try something that will focus on all only like Soda Ash or Red Sea Alk.

Mpdan

Premium member
80 gallon tank. Brs has a calculator on their site and so does Seachem for raising Cal and Alk. I understand what dosing does but cannot wrap my head around how to do it without under/over dosing. I just googled dosing for dummies haha that's the book I need.

Deezill

Premium member
maybe you should try something that is a tad more potent that only raises alk. I recommended Soda Ash. I don't even see Seachem fusion for a supplement on the alk calculator.
The calculation on BRS alkalinity calculator is only for the products they have listed.

Deezill

Premium member

I know you are using Seachem but I would definitely try something else that is directly responsible for alk. I suggest trying Soda Ash at least once and looking at results then.
I know you might like Seachem but I am old fashioned when it comes to the chemistry of water. I personally think you will get better results using Soda Ash from BRS or Red Sea Alk.
I say Brs Soda Ash simply because you can mix up a gallon at a time.

Pawel

Premium member
I did 6.8dkh

You have bad batch of salt. Every time you change the water you lower your dkh. I'm using FRITZ blue box salt and ESV B-Ionic as two part. I have been very successful with it.

Mpdan

Premium member
You have bad batch of salt. Every time you change the water you lower your dkh. I'm using FRITZ blue box salt and ESV B-Ionic as two part. I have been very successful with it.
I was going to finish off this bucket and switch. Can I add alk to the water change to get it up?

Pawel

Premium member
Don't waste your time with that salt. If ALK and Cal is off then other things might be wrong with it too. I would switch right away.

LatinoHeat

I was going to finish off this bucket and switch. Can I add alk to the water change to get it up?

If nothing is dying or impacted by your salt, I would switch to a new salt slowly. You don't want to shock your tank either.

fishyfish22

Premium member
You can raise dkh by adding baking soda to your Tank. When my alk was low I used arm and hammer baking soda to bring it up to where I needed it (albeit, slowly)