Mp40 + cerith snail = burned magnet

scottjm84

Hey guys just a heads up to everyone that has Vortech pumps I have burned through two magnets and was at a loss as to why until it happened the second time. Cerith snails as small enough to get through the HUGE gaps in the MP40's protective cage for the wet side. I found a snail wedged in the propeller with the magnet melted to inside which completely ruins the wet side. I got it replaced first time by echotech marine who honored the warranty after thoroughly questioning my pin placement which was correct. I'm sure it was a snail the first time too. Anyways I solved this by cutting the front of another Mp40 wet side and zip tying it to the front of another to fill in the gaps keeping the cerith snails outta there. So BEWARE the combo of this pump and these little snails they're bound to crawl in your pump and burn up your wetside magnet eventually.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100LL

Wether this is my problem or not, I appreciate the heads up as I've now burned through 3 magnets on two separate power heads in less than 6 months of use. And, like they were with you they were very questioning of my pin spacing, which is correct. I now have two unopened wet sides and I'm even questioning if I want to use them. I do have Cerith snails but never see them inside. Maybe like you experienced, it's happening when I don't see it.
Can you let me know if you've been running them problem free since the retrofit?