Need help deciding on lights.

I have the opportunity to buy either two used Kessil 360wE’s or Two Hydra 52S. Which are the better lights for a mixed reef tank?

Thanks!

Reefaholic

Premium member
Are the Hydras the HD model? I have the hydras 26 HD for about 3 years now without any problems. The best part about it is that I can control the light and adjust every channel/color from my phone.

Funlad3

I'd definitely take the Hydras over the Kessils. They show the colors on corals so much better, and they're way more controllable.

Mjl714

I have 75gal mixed reef with two Kessil 360we’s, and a IM 30l with two AI Prime 16 HD’s. While the AI’s are more controllable, I find that I set both, and really forget it, so all things considered not much difference in value for me. Both lights have been very reliable, both sps, lps, etc. look great, but here I would give a slight edge to the Kessils. In my case, the Kessils cover more area, in your case, AI 52’s should cover more than two Kessils. Based on your prices available, all other things equal, I don’t think the Kessils are worth $125 per light more. What size tank are you lighting? Good luck with your choice.

I have 75gal mixed reef with two Kessil 360we’s, and a IM 30l with two AI Prime 16 HD’s. While the AI’s are more controllable, I find that I set both, and really forget it, so all things considered not much difference in value for me. Both lights have been very reliable, both sps, lps, etc. look great, but here I would give a slight edge to the Kessils. In my case, the Kessils cover more area, in your case, AI 52’s should cover more than two Kessils. Based on your prices available, all other things equal, I don’t think the Kessils are worth $125 per light more. What size tank are you lighting? Good luck with your choice.

Its also total price for 2 lights.