new 40 gal build

amirk48

stand is done, well almost done im missing a piece cause i ran out of stain but ill take care of it today.
this thing is a huge overkill, it can probably hold 10000 pounds, but better safe than sorry right?
considering i had to go to home depot and have them do all the cuttings im pretty happy with the way it turned out.
i also built a sump to fit in there and maximize the space. its very basic, just a filter sock, skimmer/equipment, and a return pump
next is leak test and plumbing

GugsJr

TeamCR
Looking good. Are you the one that recommended the glass place in Chicago to me on Facebook?

amirk48

yup that was me :)
so much cheaper than other places right? i must have called 8 businesses and these guys were less than half the price from the rest!

GugsJr

TeamCR
yup that was me :)
so much cheaper than other places right? i must have called 8 businesses and these guys were less than half the price from the rest!
Yeah they never called back with a second quote for comparison so I found an acrylic tank with the perfect dimensions.

I'll be posting up a build soon.

amirk48

tank is finally getting filled

this is the rockscape i ended up with. hard to get the idea from the pics but its like a "canyon" in the middle with a lot of hiding space for the fish

side view

and heres the "machine room".
very limited space since the stand is so bulky so im trying to keep it as simple and as or organized as possible.
the main drain has a ball valve for a complete shut down, a gate valve for fine tuning the water level in thr overflow box, a quick connect 1/4" valve for easy water changes, and another ball valve that without it the water change valve will just act as a venturi and suck in air.
other then that theres an emergency drain and the return line.

i really dont know what to do for an ATO system,
i can probably mount a 1.2 gallon reservoir max for a gravity fed system but i got the feeling ill be filling it constantly.
i really wanted to avoid any external cabinets for that but looks like i have no choice..
keep in mind theres a dosing pump/containers and a skimmer going in there as well

lighting is next

amirk48

here it is..
cycled and ready to go with my DIY LED build (30 cree royal blues and 20 cree cool whites)
the light is on since 2 days ago so ill wait for the algae to hit and start stocking after that.

amirk48

thanks
yes, i was able to find a narrow container to fit behind the sump. its only 1 gallon, enough for about a week, but i guess its better than nothing
i used tunze metering pump and a float
ill send a pic of the cabinet when i get home, its pretty packed and i still need to make some space for the dosing pump :ROFLMAO:

Sawdonkey

Premium member
thanks
yes, i was able to find a narrow container to fit behind the sump. its only 1 gallon, enough for about a week, but i guess its better than nothing
i used tunze metering pump and a float
ill send a pic of the cabinet when i get home, its pretty packed and i still need to make some space for the dosing pump :ROFLMAO:
I’d say enough top off water for a week is pretty good. My ATO tank is 20 gallons and it’s only good for a week. When I leave town for extended periods, I put a 45 gal brut next to my tank and pump from that into my ATO tank. It’s a Manual Top Off for my Automatic Top Off.

amirk48

yup thats what im going to do too

should i start the skimmer or wait for more bio load? there is only one clownfish at the moment

amirk48

hi all
been a while since my last update.
tank has been running for almost a year now
soon enough after I started adding frags by the end of last year, the fun stuff begun.
I was battling almost every possible problem you could imagine, from hair algae to bryopsis to dino to cyano to bacteria blooms.
I tried to take the natural approach but i ended up having to nuke the tank with chemicals, which killed about 90% of the corals I had.
on the bright side, I think everything is behind me and tank is finally in balance. except for some bubble algae here and there, but that's more manageable.

here are a few pics from today