New Chaeto reactor thumbs up!

My most successful tank was a biocube 14 with chaeto in the back chamber lit by a submersible pond bulb 15 years ago. I could feed the tank what I wanted without any fear of algae blooms. All inhabitants were plump and healthy. Water crystal clear with monthly 10% water changes. Then, the latest and greatest equipment bug bit hard and I thought I needed all these gadgets to have the best reef aquarium. What I learned was that I put my coral through a lot of stress trying to get a super clean tank with gfo,bacteria, vodka, vinegar etc. lost a lot of beautiful sps and time that they could have been growing into colonies.

I took my skimmer and gfo reactor offline and purchased a chaeto reactor to combat nitrates and phosphates. After a week, I'm thrilled with how my tank is responding! Water is crystal clear, nitrates are around 5 and phosphate zero. No need to wipe the glass or pumps or? everything is algae free. Even the brown algae is gone....All sps polyps are extended and happy......thrilled! I have been feeding heavy so I can still measure nitrates, which feels weird since I used to worry about fouling the tank. I found this reactor on a forum post and called the west coast store which was selling it for half the cost of a Arid reactor and they shipped it to me. I was so pleased when I received it. Quality is outstanding. I'll take a pic in a few weeks when I harvest.

View attachment 22225

No more skimmer JM, this reactor is supercharged. I have been feeding so heavy with aminos, autofeeder and formula one and my trates haven't budged crystal clear water and no algae in tank. This reactor is so much different from what I'm used to. It is centrally lit by red /blue/white leds and upflow via a Mj1200. The store that sells it is aquatic warehouse in San Diego. All they told me was a vendor is manufacturing these and selling them via west coast reef stores. I can vouch for the quality, it's solid. This has all the features of a arid reactor for half the cost. The unions are a nice feature too.

Nick

sh0tyme83

This is a great to know. I'm on the tipping point about trying to use my shut down phosban reactor and making a DIY chaeto reactor. You might have just convinced me to give this a shot. I've been dosing NoPox and I don't think my tank is as healthy as it could be.

GugsJr

TeamCR
I'm debating as well, I currently run GFO, Bio Pellets, Carbon and a skimmer and still get alage on the glass.

I only have a sailfin Tang, Midas blenny, Xmas wrasse,1 despair Anthias and a mated pair of clowns.

Feeding is 2 times a day, 4 pm feeder feeds pellets, and I feed at 7. Nothing goes into the sump for food because my pump is turned off both times