New Green Bubble Tip Anemone

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Hi all I received a very big anemone from a forum member [MENTION=1483]IHaveCrabs[/MENTION] (thanks a bunch)

Wanted to post some pics of how it looks so far in my tank and get some feedback on what you all think I should do to help it stay alive in my care. Does it look good/bad? I have LEDs in a BC 29 at 30% right now. The gbta was placed at the top of the tank rock work on sunday night and decided to crawl down to the bottom and latch on under a rock sitting on the sand bed. I have not fed it anything. Thanks in advance!

Monday

View attachment 17135

Tuesday Dawn

View attachment 17136

Tuesday Mid Morning

View attachment 17137

Tuesday Noon

GOT HUGE Taking over the tank
View attachment 17138

Tuesday Evening

Went back down late afternoon I reduced light and its back to the lower part of the tank this evening.

View attachment 17144

Wednesday Late Afternoon

I moved the rock it was on by flipping it so it would be more visible instead of buried deep in the rocks.
Since last night it moved a little bit on the rock more to the front.

View attachment 17149

View attachment 17150

Anyone know what the bubble around the mouth is?

View attachment 17151

View attachment 17152

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
The first and last picture I think he is stretching for light. I think you can start to raise it, just do so slowly.

Can't wait to see him color up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fish_wiz2

Looks good! Does seem to be stretching a bit in the last two pics but nothing drastic, just ramp the lights up slowly over this week. I've kept an RBTA in a 29 biocube before with LED's with no problems. No need to feed either as it will get large quick or split as my old RBTA's did in my 125. Keep up with water quality and you'll be fine. Weekly water changes were essential to my success.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
The first and last picture I think he is stretching for light. I think you can start to raise it, just do so slowly.

Can't wait to see him color up!

Thanks for the input. I was actually hoping the GBTA desire for light would make it want to move up the rockwork. It appears this one is very stubborn though and appears to like the bottom!

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Looks good! Does seem to be stretching a bit in the last two pics but nothing drastic, just ramp the lights up slowly over this week. I've kept an RBTA in a 29 biocube before with LED's with no problems. No need to feed either as it will get large quick or split as my old RBTA's did in my 125. Keep up with water quality and you'll be fine. Weekly water changes were essential to my success.
Thanks will do with the lighting. I will have to update the sump thread but I added a skimmer and reactor. Im running GFO in the reactor, have a bag of purigen wrapped around the outlet of the reactor. also have a bag of chemipure elite on standby if more chemical filtration is needed. Plan on doing 3 gallon Weekly water change which is about 10 percent. Hope all this will keep the water quality up!

Fish_wiz2

Very nice, I ran a Tunze 9001 with the inTank media basket on mine with floss, chemipure, and Purigen. Ended up only keeping floss and purigen as my skimmer never really pulled anything and chemi pure is dumb expensive. Water changes took care of everything for me.

My rbta's eventually travelled to the top of the tank on the left side to the right of the powerhead flow and stayed there under the led strip lighting that I have. I'd give it some time to acclimate to the lighting in your tank. Also consider what lighting it came out of also.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
My rbta's eventually travelled to the top of the tank on the left side to the right of the powerhead flow and stayed there under the led strip lighting that I have. I'd give it some time to acclimate to the lighting in your tank. Also consider what lighting it came out of also.
This is where I had it sunday night before it made the trek down to the sand bed. I wouldn't mind if it wanted to crawl back up to the same spot :)

View attachment 17145

Fish_wiz2

Part of the mouth, I call them the lips. I've seen it before on my nems especially after a piece of shrimp was fed.

mishmaster

Your anemone looks fine. The bubble around the mouth is normal. I can't say anything about your lighting as I know nothing about LED's. I grow my anemone clone army using 2 x 250Watt MH and 4 X 54 watt T5's. You can ramp the lights up very slowly, over 2-4 weeks and offer it some food (pellets or SMALL pieces of meat that you would feed your fish, but since its a 29, be careful not to pollute your tank) after it settles in a week or 2 from now. It may reject it and the food will slide off, but if you keep trying it will eventually learn to take it. Lighting though is the real way it gets food. Also needs low-moderate flow so that it gently waves about.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Your anemone looks fine. The bubble around the mouth is normal. I can't say anything about your lighting as I know nothing about LED's. I grow my anemone clone army using 2 x 250Watt MH and 4 X 54 watt T5's. You can ramp the lights up very slowly, over 2-4 weeks and offer it some food (pellets or SMALL pieces of meat that you would feed your fish, but since its a 29, be careful not to pollute your tank) after it settles in a week or 2 from now. It may reject it and the food will slide off, but if you keep trying it will eventually learn to take it. Lighting though is the real way it gets food. Also needs low-moderate flow so that it gently waves about.
Thanks for the response. It actually has decided it likes to move every few days and is making circles around my rock work on the left side of the tank. Amazing how it can fit through really small holes. A sight to see. Anyways it has currently settled on the glass wall in the rear corner of the tank. The clown found it again so both are now hanging out together in the back. I hope it moves again back upfront.

Wildisme

That's the crappy part about them is that they move where they want lol. I love Nems and when they find a spot they like they can stay for ever. But sometimes it's not where you can get the best view.

From my experience it was best to let them figure it out and not mess with them if you don't like their area because sometimes that will agitate them enough to start moving all over the tank again.

One thing I will note is that the "lips" bubbled up part on the disc is very common especially after a feeding.

Glad it's working out for you. Nems have always been one of my favorites.