Our 90g mixed reef

Joe Lydon

It's been up and running for almost 2 months now, diatoms are gone and everything is pretty stable. I'm still lacking a decent skimmer, but since my bioload isn't much, my setup is sufficient, for now. Always adding new frags, kinda going for lots of different zoas across the bottom, different kinds of lps and some cyphastrea. Still debating on SPS across the top, but I won't bother until I get a better skimmer.

Here's the filter room, that used to be a closet.. Still haven't plumbed the BRS carbon/GFO reactors off of the Iwaki, because I just haven't needed them. I painted the sump's bottom, back and side on the right, white. Helps me gauge the clarity/color of the water aka "the bucket test", whenever I look at the sump. Still have plans to run the bubbleless surge (thanks to Greg's idea).

I will update the tank with close ups and better photos, once I get a macro lens. I used the point and shoot for everything, because all I have for the DSLR is a beat up 50mm 1.8 that has a hard time focusing.

lunacris

looks very very very clean ! pretty jealous on that tang u have there . beautiful fish ! keep up the good work

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Looks great!!! Becareful with the cheato getting clogged in the return..

Also what type of skimmer are you running?

Joe Lydon

Thanks everyone!

The tank looks awesome! Now you just need to fill it up!
+1 I need to come shopping at your place!

Looks Great...what Kind Of Tang Is That
Acanthurus maculiceps aka Spotted cheek tang

Looks great!!! Becareful with the cheato getting clogged in the return..

Also what type of skimmer are you running?
I have a bulkhead overflow strainer on the return + large rocks + rubble to fill in the cracks, covering the strainer. I already had a hermit shell stuck in the pump guard + chaeto, I could have used that advice before! :) The chaeto makes for a nice bubble trap, since I don't have any baffles.

The skimmer is a seaclone with meshmod. I was planning to go ATS only, but when my LEDs almost caught fire, I picked up some chaeto and already had this skimmer laying around. Now I use a 150w 10k metal halide to grow chaeto, ATS (with a different clip on LED light) and the skimmer. Not an ounce of algae in the tank and I feed that tang quite a bit. Phosphates fluctuate between .04-.08.