Overflow Issue

wrasse

I am having an issue with my 80 gallon frag tank. I have a strong flow through my overflow so when feeding I turn my overflow off to stop food from just going down into sump. Sometimes when I turn it on the water won't flow correctly and fill up the display to the very rim, it would probably overflow if I wouldn't have caught the flow not working properly. I was wondering if their is a solution or a different kind of a plumbing kit you use for an 80 gallon frag tank. I am using the kit that came with the tank except for the bulkheads which leaked at the threads.
Thanks

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I am having an issue with my 80 gallon frag tank. I have a strong flow through my overflow so when feeding I turn my overflow off to stop food from just going down into sump. Sometimes when I turn it on the water won't flow correctly and fill up the display to the very rim, it would probably overflow if I wouldn't have caught the flow not working properly. I was wondering if their is a solution or a different kind of a plumbing kit you use for an 80 gallon frag tank. I am using the kit that came with the tank except for the bulkheads which leaked at the threads.
Thanks
Do you have a picture of the overflow setup?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wrasse

View attachment 21813
I don't think the strainer is as wide open as in this picture. Also, I don't have an airline hose -soft or hard- coming out of the top of the drain. Once in a while the drain will whistle.

goatous

Looks like you are using a Durso stand pipe.

Adding an emergency drain might help.

Drill a hole in the bottom or side of the tank, install a bulkhead, and pipe with the opening above the normal waterline. If the water rises to the top of the pipe it will drain to the sump.

After a little while the siphon for the durso will start and the water level will fall.

Last edited:

ultimatemj

If you are not overly concerned with sound level, remove the standoff and replace it with a "plastic filter netting" tube, and you'll have easily 10times the surge buffer. It's how I run mine and it's not that loud~
View attachment 21814

wrasse

If you are not overly concerned with sound level, remove the standoff and replace it with a "plastic filter netting" tube, and you'll have easily 10times the surge buffer. It's how I run mine and it's not that loud~
View attachment 21814
Are you saying to remove the whole stand pipe? Or just the drain filter and replace with the plastic filter netting?

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I would also remove that strainer... that is a flood waiting to happen.

Clarification.. I wouldn't remove the standpipe, just the strainer.

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I would also remove that strainer... that is a flood waiting to happen.

My guess is the strainer is gunked up and not allowing enough water to begin flowing down the Durso which is eliminating its ability to start a siphon. Without that, I'm sure your pump is pushing more into the display than is being removed by the standpipe.

Obviously without seeing it, it would be hard to be 100% confident.

Last edited:

ultimatemj

Correct, remove the whole stand pipe. Water has to get to the bottom to drain, so it can make "trickle sounds" but it's not that bad. It gets worse when the screen starts to clog and water level raises...indicating time to clean it :)

Are you saying to remove the whole stand pipe? Or just the drain filter and replace with the plastic filter netting?