Parameter swings

Warnecke13

Good evening everyone, I’m a new member and Ive been having an issue, my alk is dropping a full DKH minimum per week. And calcium is rising. Any ideas on why?
My readings last week:
Alk 7.8
Calc 521
Ph 7.8
Mag 1330

My readings today:
Alk 6.8
Calc 536
Ph 7.9
Mag 1320

Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

conchman

Premium member
With mild stocking levels I am dosing for both CA and ALK. I do regular water changes that helps, but still add. You say you are new, how old is the tank?

Warnecke13

The tank is about a year old. I just don’t understand why my calc is rising when not being dosed and alk is dropping so drastically?

conchman

Premium member
I barely dose CA, water changes mostly keep it in check. ALK, however will drop into the danger zone quickly, I test 2x week. BRS dosing units with digital timers. It keeps things pretty stable. More than a few tanks have crashed due to this.

Chicagoreefs

Administrator
Staff member
You calcium number rising is probably due to your test kits error/accuracy. If you tested your water back to back you would provably would have a measurement difference of similar size.

Warnecke13

I test with Hanna checkers and just replaced the reagents about 3 weeks ago. I’m just wondering if I should start looking into regularly dosing alk and maybe that will level out my parameters? Thoughts?

dvanlier05

Did you do a water change between tests? What salt do you use? Have you tested your newly mixed SW? What type of corals do you have? State of coraline algae growth? A little more info is needed to better answer your question.

Warnecke13

Did you do a water change between tests? What salt do you use? Have you tested your newly mixed SW? What type of corals do you have? State of coraline algae growth? A little more info is needed to better answer your question.
I usually test before and after water changes. And on my off week just test without a water change. I use aquaforest reef salt, mostly soft corals some LPS frag size corals, no SPS. And I would say my rock is maybe 10% covered with coralline. Tank is only about a year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvanlier05

I usually test before and after water changes. And on my off week just test without a water change. I use aquaforest reef salt, mostly soft corals some LPS frag size corals, no SPS. And I would say my rock is maybe 10% covered with coralline. Tank is only about a year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok. I would almost consider those cal numbers the same if you add in the margin of error.
It may be time to look into dosing alk to maintain it. It's not falling a lot so a daily dose when you feed should be fine.

I will be following this as we are having the same situation. Since getting a Trident we have been able to follow our parameters much closer than ever before. It’s always been in my head that tanks use Alk and Calcium at relatively proportionate levels. Ours is not, Alk is definitely getting used at a higher level than Calcium.