Peppermint Shrimps...my "Aiptasia Eating Heros".....

cet98

I don't know why, but I have heard so many reefers complain that their Peppermints never touch the aiptasia in their tanks...yet, for some reason, I have never had a Peppermint in my tank that "hasn't" devoured the aiptasia in mine....my biggest problem with Peppermints is they don't seem to live forever even with Iodine supplement dosing :(

after having bought some LPS a while back, I noticed that some aiptasia had come on the rocks. they were small and I didn't feel like kalking them due to how close they were to the coral's flesh...they didn't appear to be bothering the coral so in my laziness of not wanting to deal with them, I just left them there and ignored them...much like my wife does to me when she doesn't want to deal with me either...

well, as you would guess, they multiplied and soon I needed to "attend" to them, so I picked up a few Peppermints last weekend.
I left town on business this week and upon my return I noticed this morning that all the visible aiptasia is gone.... :D

so once again my Peppermints "save the day"....lol

I don't know why, but I have heard so many reefers complain that their Peppermints never touch the aiptasia in their tanks...yet, for some reason, I have never had a Peppermint in my tank that "hasn't" devoured the aiptasia in mine....my biggest problem with Peppermints is they don't seem to live forever even with Iodine supplement dosing :(

after having bought some LPS a while back, I noticed that some aiptasia had come on the rocks. they were small and I didn't feel like kalking them due to how close they were to the coral's flesh...they didn't appear to be bothering the coral so in my laziness of not wanting to deal with them, I just left them there and ignored them...much like my wife does to me when she doesn't want to deal with me either...

well, as you would guess, they multiplied and soon I needed to "attend" to them, so I picked up a few Peppermints last weekend.
I left town on business this week and upon my return I noticed this morning that all the visible aiptasia is gone.... :D

so once again my Peppermints "save the day"....lol
Nice :)
Bob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

cet98

Same experience here Craig. They also go after hydroids in my experience.
interesting....maybe they will go after the small white dusters I have on some of my rocks....I will keep an eye on that and report if I see any decrease in their population... ;)

madjoe

Premium member
Ive heard it depends where they r collected if they r true peppermints and if the eat aptasia . Ive had 50/50 luck half ate em half didnt

maidia

Team CR
I got luck too...The wrasse kill the Pep. Shrimp before it touch the Aiptasia so I have to manually kill the Aiptasia ..ha ha JK.

CoralN00b

I tried pep shrimps twice without luck. Then i seen someone say they needed to be the morrocan type. I found one and it worked! Had him for 9 months or so now.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk