Poll: Would you put a biocube 29 on a tv stand?

Illinijoe

TeamCR
I have a nanocube 12 and wasn't comfortable with the stock stand due to tipping over so I bought a TV stand to put under it. I will eventually upgrade the tank probably to a biocube 29.

Would you put a biocube 29 on this stand made for a TV?

Stand is 32" wide, 20" deep, 30" high with a load rating of 150 pounds. The biocube will overhang 1" in the back and will weight ~350 lbs with rock and sand.

The top appears to be made of MDF and the rest made of particleboard.

Pictures included below. If you wouldn't do it do you have any ideas to strengthen it that would make this stand useable?

Thanks for your input!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 16764

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 16765

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 16766View attachment 16767View attachment 16768

xj_matt

Premium member
I would not recommend it at all, just build yourself a stand you want regret doing that in a long run

MMreef

Well, you really should know this answer, stand load rating 150 ibs vs Biocube 350 ibs ??? Guess who is going to win ,lol.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
ok thanks for the input all. I work with a bunch of structural engineers and I know when it comes to loadings there is always a factor of safety of 2-3 x. I just don't see how a biocube 29 stand made the manufactorer is any better since it is made of MDF and has a narrow base

1jwampler

ok thanks for the input all. I work with a bunch of structural engineers and I know when it comes to loadings there is always a factor of safety of 2-3 x. I just don't see how a biocube 29 stand made the manufactorer is any better since it is made of MDF and has a narrow base
While IMHO most stands (aquarium) could use lots of improvement, I'm thinking the lawyers not only factored weight but some moisture protection. Obviously TVs don't run wet, but aquariums do. Particle board without a plastic surface will suck up wanted and bow leaving the base of your aquarium unsupported and this could result in a crack or catastrophic failure.

Lastly a heavy TV is 100lbs where Salt water is 8.3 lbs per gallon or more based on what sinks to the bottom like live rock and sand. If you figure 25lbs for the aquarium and 10lbs per gallon it would be safe so figure 305lbs for the 28g nano.

Wildisme

Easy way to look at it. I'm 340lbs. I would not trust myself 'and you probably wouldn't either' to sit/stand on this thing. Then think of even if it did hold me, how long before it sags from that much constant weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illinijoe

TeamCR
easy way to look at it. I'm 340lbs. I would not trust myself 'and you probably wouldn't either' to sit/stand on this thing. Then think of even if it did hold me, how long before it sags from that much constant weight.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
lol

#theMatrix

You could. If you really wanted to.
Take some 2x4 and reiforce it with 2x4. It might not look the nicest. But the frame will hold. Then over the 2x4 place a sheet of wood sanded down and then paint it black to hide your new frame.
Where the tank will sit get a countertop thats 1in larger foot print than your tank and your tank will sit on the countertop. The frame of the tank will sit lvl on the countertop.

I did it.

Mines a 6ft long 125g.

Give or take 1700lbs?
Edit. Probably more weight than that
Mines a kitchen cabinet base with a countertop on top. Reiforced with two 2x4 all four corners each side and across for side to side support front and back

Last edited: