Pros and Cons on having a Hang on Back Overflow Box

Jep21

So im considering upgrading from my cpm hang on the back refugium to an actual sump/refugium thats about 10 or 20g. Im not considering drilling the tank since the tank is currently running.. Was wondering if anyone that has had experience with hang on the back overflow boxes can give an input about them whether they are good or bad i would like to hear all... The hang on bang overflow box im thinking of getting is the eshopps nano overflow box rated for 30g.. Lmk what u guys think..

William Lutman

So I have used Eshopp with U tubes and CPR. once you get u tubes primed Eshopp ran great (I might still have it). I like CPR other than I can never keep it adjusted so it is quiet. I will run for weeks, then for no good reason start making noise again and have to be readjusted.

Triggerdood

I have never had a reef ready tank, so I've always used hob's. I've never had an issue, other than them becoming loud at times, but there are ways to silence them.

I have an eshopps hob and I wish my tank was drilled. Sometimes the siphon breaks and that can be a mess. If you can find a way to drill it, I recommend you do.

Triggerdood

Guess I've been lucky! Never have had a siphon break in all the yrs I've used a hob. Go with the CPR with the aqualifter pump if you are worried about a break. jmo.

Spartanman22

I ran an HOB on a u5 for 3 years and never had any issues. I've even used a homemade u-tube and it still worked flawlessly.

Tonyssrx

Premium member
Yes on my 180 I use the E-shops PF 1800 and the PF 1200 with the Aqua lifter pumps on both and never had any issues, plus if you sell the tank I think there are more sought after IMO

tomek77pl

I had the eshopps nano overflow box and once you get the u pipe primed you should never loose suction. I only had a problem once when a big snail got into the box and went down the pipe. This caused my tank to overflow, but after installing some mesh as a snail guard I had no problems. The hardest part for me was priming the u pipe, as it took me 10 minutes and a mouth full of saltwater :/.

Kamreefer

Lol I use to use a hang on the back I found an easy way to prime it put a Maxijet pimp in the overflow box plug it in once it starts send water right through no bubbles than take pump out and that's a wrap