Puffer with air pocket

Wildisme

Just had a client call me That 1 of his puffers has an air pocket. It showed up yesterday near the tail and this morning it is near his back. He is swimming okay and not struggling to stay under water at all. I believe it is his Stars and Stripes puffer around 9" or so.

Should we let it be and let it expel it on its own? I've heard of holding it tail down, or flipping it on its belly and gently rubbing its belly to burp. But I've also heard this can be very stressful on the fish, sometimes more so then the air is.

Anyone here with experience on this issue. I've never tried burping a puffer.

Jason R

http://www.pufferlist.com/article-library/how-to-keep-puffer-fish/

Pufferfish have the ability to inflate themselves when threatened. This increased size as well as spines over much of their body, help to deter would be predators. As a general rule, a puffer should never be forced to inflate in captivity. Despite the fact that it “looks cool” it is extremely stressful to the fish and can reduce the fish’s ability to fight off potential diseases. It can also be deadly if the puffer takes in air when attempting to inflate; it is very difficult to expel the air and the fish will be held at the surface of the water, usually upside down, by the air bubble in their stomach. For this reason, puffers should never be taken out of the water when moving them from one tank to another. If a move is necessary and it is possible, the puffer should be guided into a cup or a similar container and then removed from the tank. This way if the puffer should inflate, it will be underwater the entire time.

Jason R

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic110075.aspx

When performing freshwater dips or transferring these guys, always do so in a container of water. Air pockets can be often be difficult to treat as well as can cost the puffer its life. A fish fighting at the surface can be picked on by other fish or seen as potential food. The stress of the air pocket and the increased metabolic rate can weaken the puffer's resistance/immune system.

What I would suggest and have had success with is - if the puffer still has the air pocket is to obtain a plastic critter cage with the vented tops or a large colander or another container with holes in it to allow water to pass through it. I would trap the puffer under the container or in the critter cage/box. Place a rock or wedge the container/box to keep the puffer & the container on the bottom of the tank. Make sure there is adequate water flow throw the box/container. Many times, the puffer relaxes and will expel the water. This may take several hours to a day.

Manual massage like you have tried does work sometimes but often it can cause more stress and damage can be done to the skin or spines.

I have had to take a syringe and manually evacuate air but this requires anesthesia. There is also the potential of damaging internal organs and this disrupts the integrity of the skin and could lead to infection.

Wildisme

This I already know. I appreciate the links tho. The puffer has not been moved or taken from water at any time. Food is presented underwater to make sure the puffers are not eating at the surface.

I'm just unsure of letting it be or burping.

Jason R

I say let it be. If it isn't stressed out now it will release it on its own. Burping it will just stress it out more.