Question on storing fish tanks

Question on storing fish tanks in a storage unit that is not climate controlled. Will the Chicago heat and cold have any affect on them? Will the temps have any affect on the silicon caulk on the glass tanks? Will the seams of the Acrylic tanks hold up to the high temps that can be reach inside a storage unit? Will the acrylic tanks expand in the heat and crack? I need to close down my fish room down and need to put them in storage. I already have a unit that i am renting that is not climate controlled and i would like to put all my tanks in there. I do not want to rent a second unit if i do not have to.

Twitch

Well I know the heat from my buddys t5 lighting warped his acrylic tanks top...... I would not do it if it a good tank. as for the caulk I dont see an issue as long at it isnt long term storage.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
It seems like you might be storing long term. In that case I would go with a climate controlled unit. I don't think that tanks are made with the idea that they would have to withstand drastic temp changes. Just by what's offered in the hardware store there are different silicone sealants offered for indoor and outdoor.

fishyfish22

Premium member
when we upgraded we left the old 125 gallon outside over the winter, with the temperature changes during the winter the glass shrunk in size and the frame cracked. go temperature controlled