Quick question

madjoe

Premium member
So does any one know if r/o system pulls out silcates ive been fighting diatoms and kinda seem like they getting worse and funny thing is they seem to get worse with water change . I could be crazy but i was just taking a shower and kinda noticed little spots of red around my drain and few spots on my calk around tub and wall time to bleach that shit lol but i also noticed some in my faucet now i have this water fall type faucet kinda like a shoe horn if any body knows what that is lol i will get pic . Just wondering if the two can be related i was thinking it was my sand but with all the crap ive dosed im starting to wonder if im not just adding shit in ever water change and every time it tops off . Is there any test i can do all my r/o filters r fairly new few months even membrain and tds reads zero on my meter only thing i noticed is my stop valve starting to fail so water is coming out my waste line reminds me gotta order new one lol

madjoe

Premium member
Really good chance man everything you have posted points to silicas
Hmm interesting i have a whole nother r/o system i should make all three containers di resin lol and add it to my system i need find a test and prove it out

gonebad395

I'm not sure but I think you can call your water provider and ask the additives they use and the parts per million that it should read I think it's something they have to tell you

wrasse

I'm not sure but I think you can call your water provider and ask the additives they use and the parts per million that it should read I think it's something they have to tell you
That sounds right

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Joe,

I found this article it may help
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/1/chemistry

madjoe

Premium member
Thank you Joe for this thread I'll be looking in to it all as well for my tank
What ive found so far is that addison uses silicates to treat water and according to the numbers i found addison has 22mg silicate compared to other burbs with 6mg so im thinking with my r/o system although has two di chambers they r small and dont even hold as much as one resin chamber on other systems so my thought is silicates maybe slipping by so far still theory but im working on that part

xj_matt

Premium member
What ive found so far is that addison uses silicates to treat water and according to the numbers i found addison has 22mg silicate compared to other burbs with 6mg so im thinking with my r/o system although has two di chambers they r small and dont even hold as much as one resin chamber on other systems so my thought is silicates maybe slipping by so far still theory but im working on that part
I just bought a simple at home water test kit to see if everything is clear as of chlorine and everything iron and some other stuff I am going to make a batch of rodi and see some of this out if any b4 farther investigation this test has
Alk
Chlorine
Hardness
Iron
Copper
Nitrates
And nitrites
Just a pice of mind that it's pulling somwthing out its a $10 test

madjoe

Premium member
I just bought a simple at home water test kit to see if everything is clear as of chlorine and everything iron and some other stuff I am going to make a batch of rodi and see some of this out if any b4 farther investigation this test has
Alk
Chlorine
Hardness
Iron
Copper
Nitrates
And nitrites
Just a pice of mind that it's pulling somwthing out its a $10 test
We will figure this out eventually.

madjoe

Premium member
Well picked up silicate test today tested tank water and r/o water both tested what looks like zero to one kit gives u a test sample that reads 6 to make sure kit is working and it is. So fairly sure i can rule out my water supply . I should be happy but im not cause i guess now all i can do is wait to set new tank up and swap the sand out to see if it was the sand

xj_matt

Premium member
Hey Joe, when is the last time you have changed your membrane on your rodi unit? I just changed gedanken mu e it was a little less than a year old and was producing 25 PPM of TDS after the membrane, after installing the new one I was down to 5 PPM after the membrane. Just a thought on helping water quality

madjoe

Premium member
Hey Joe, when is the last time you have changed your membrane on your rodi unit? I just changed gedanken mu e it was a little less than a year old and was producing 25 PPM of TDS after the membrane, after installing the new one I was down to 5 PPM after the membrane. Just a thought on helping water quality
Few months ago maybe two or three same as all my filters i thought same thing so i cheanged em all. I kinda ruled out water issues with test now so last thing is sand is leaching

gonebad395

Few months ago maybe two or three same as all my filters i thought same thing so i cheanged em all. I kinda ruled out water issues with test now so last thing is sand is leaching
Me and joe been looking into it all everything now points to his sand after the silica test he ran. Hell think I've dont more reading for his tank then mine lmao which is fine cause that's why we are here to help.

xj_matt

Premium member
Me and joe been looking into it all everything now points to his sand after the silica test he ran. Hell think I've dont more reading for his tank then mine lmao which is fine cause that's why we are here to help.
I belive min is what problem, now that I have changed my membrain, am found it to be letting three more then 25% tds pass threw and relying on the DI to pull the rest out I an hoping this is my problem I'll be doing something big water change tomorrow of 50g with the new membrane hope this helps me!!!!

madjoe

Premium member
I belive min is what problem, now that I have changed my membrain, am found it to be letting three more then 25% tds pass threw and relying on the DI to pull the rest out I an hoping this is my problem I'll be doing something big water change tomorrow of 50g with the new membrane hope this helps me!!!!
Good luck hope it helps

madjoe

Premium member
Lol thanks man theres another person on here haveing same issues also but want stay low key i guess so we all helping and trying figure this crap out . Btw all that dam reading is been so confusing I actually read about people purposely useing silicate sand cause sponges and corals use silicate to grow lol but then theres usuable silicate non usuable kinda makes your head hurt lol