red planera flat worms out of control

Bowhunter4250

i have a serious problem with these flat worms , i try sucking them out a few times a week and it seems as if they multiply faster and faster , i have so many that they are almost a carpet in some places .... using FWE is not an option at this point yet ? my thought is to take all of my rock and corals out of my tank , rinse in fresh water and put into a tub that has clean salt water in it , suck out as much as i can from the sand , put rock and corals back in display and then use FWE to kill anything left in the crevices of the rock ? will this work ? will i crash my tank ? what are some of the problems with this or what else can i do ? i cant just use FWE because there is just too many at this point ?

thanks

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I've used FWE in the past and it worked well. I'm sure you've read about the possible crash but it can be controlled. What I did was siphon out as many as I could see and then I added the FWE. The flatworms started dying immediately and I siphoned them as they were dying. I had SW in reserve so I could refill the tank as needed. I haven't see any flatworms since but I also have a damsel and a wrasse in the tank now.

ColaAddict

+1. Just need to siphon out as much flatworms, then use FWE. Safe if used as directed. Another option is buying blue velvet nudi from liveaquaria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowhunter4250

+1. Just need to siphon out as much flatworms, then use FWE. Safe if used as directed. Another option is buying blue velvet nudi from liveaquaria.

the only problem i see is that i cant reach all the rock underneath and in back where i can see there is a matt of them ? so if i cant reach them now how can i reach them when they die off with the FWE ?

ColaAddict

A few dying in your tank is fine. Whats your total water volume? Just have water ready for water change after killing them, and activated carbon.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I used stiff tubing attached to airline to get into the tight spaces; spare RODI tubing would work. You can siphon the worms and not take out too much water. The dead worms should float a little so it would make it a little easier.

Bowhunter4250

I used stiff tubing attached to airline to get into the tight spaces; spare RODI tubing would work. You can siphon the worms and not take out too much water. The dead worms should float a little so it would make it a little easier.
i use a large diameter tubing that drains into a filter sock so i dont lose water , i have about 250gal .TWV ...... i havent looked at a box of FWE so not sure how much 1 box will treat and ive heard other people say that they have had to use more than 1 treatment ?

nailbender

I have used FWE and it does get rid of them, but they always came back. I would think that if you keep using it, eventually they would become imune to it. i have since kept them in control with wrasses. I have a 250 gallon tank and have a green wrasse, solarensis, and a nuhacky. The green wrasse has also gotten rid of my bristleworm problem, however, its constantly turning over corals on my sand bed, which is frustrating.

Bowhunter4250

I have used FWE and it does get rid of them, but they always came back. I would think that if you keep using it, eventually they would become imune to it. i have since kept them in control with wrasses. I have a 250 gallon tank and have a green wrasse, solarensis, and a nuhacky. The green wrasse has also gotten rid of my bristleworm problem, however, its constantly turning over corals on my sand bed, which is frustrating.
i have a melanurus wrasse and a yellow choris , the melanurus is fat as hell every day !! i know hes eating some of them .... thats why i was wondering about just dipping all my rock under fresh water to clear as much off as possible ? its a lot of work bu this is a huge problem

nailbender

I tried a melanaris wrasse because the LFS said they would get rid of the flat worms, but I watched a flat worm bounce in the water right past the nose of that fish and he paid no attention to it. I then added a pair of red line wrasses strickly because I thought they were cool, and a month or two later I said where did all the flat worms go.

skunkmere

use FWE. i had to dose it 5 times in my 24g nanocube to get them all but it didnt hurt the coral or my fancy nems. it did irritate them. i would have carbon to filter out the toxins and a big WC ready after the first dose. the other doses done need a WC just carbon running and your skimmer the whole time. i even over dosed it cause it wasnt enough.

AndyP27

I like hi-jacking old threads instead of starting my own. I have a cleaner shrimp and am planning on getting some peppermint shrimps to deal with aptasia. I recently diagnosed my tank with the dreaded red flatworms so I need a flatworm eater. I had a six line but he was killing my shrimp and crabs. What shrimp safe fish have people had the most luck with eating flatworms?

Bowhunter4250

I like hi-jacking old threads instead of starting my own. I have a cleaner shrimp and am planning on getting some peppermint shrimps to deal with aptasia. I recently diagnosed my tank with the dreaded red flatworms so I need a flatworm eater. I had a six line but he was killing my shrimp and crabs. What shrimp safe fish have people had the most luck with eating flatworms?
use FWE it does work , i had a massive problem with them , i am now completely pest free !!! in my opinion there isn't anything out there fish wise that will completely get rid of flat worms as they multiply way too fast for any fish to be able to keep up ?

Bowhunter4250

use FWE it does work , i had a massive problem with them , i am now completely pest free !!! in my opinion there isn't anything out there fish wise that will completely get rid of flat worms as they multiply way too fast for any fish to be able to keep up ?

madjoe

Premium member
Best wrasse for pest r red corris wrasses or formosa corris but once big they with eat the cuc and shrimp . They have one thing on there mind hunt and eat like bowhunter sand they will flip over rocks and frags that arent glued down one my favorite in my reef i just use lots of glue so far shrimp r aluve but wrasse is tiny lol my last one was 7 inches before his untimely death he could flip over a softball size rock looking for critters they r pest's worst nightmare . If u r a shrimp lover probably not a fish for u honestly its a fair trade no shrimp for no pest imo other then that they fine in a reef