Reef octopus skimmer pump not working

Knuckles

I have the reef octopus nwb 150 skimmer. I noticed tonight it wasn't running...may have been that way for several days. I put it in a vinegar solution thinking it might be dirty. When it starts up it runs fine for about ten seconds and then stops pumping. Any idea what would be wrong with it or is it going bad?

theboy

pull the impeller cover and plug it in to see if the impeller itself is spinning free. if its not make sure the shaft the impeller rides on didnt break. Its not uncommon for them to go bad. Good news though, you get to upgrade to a better pump now anyways. May i suggest the bubble blaster hy-2000?

Knuckles

It does spin and the shaft is in tact. I'm going to keep it immersed in vinegar overnight but I bought a new pump just in case

kdog23

I have the same skimmer and I took it apart and the pump was jammed up with small snail shells. Did not expect that-but easy fix.

Knuckles

Other than taking the shaft and impeller out I don't see anything else I could take apart. Am I missing something?

theboy

check the o-ring seals and make sure they havent gone bad. Also check where the impeller slides into the screw on inlet, that can clog with garbage.

Knuckles

Well I thought I bought the right pump but guess it was not the one for the skimmer. I reordered the correct one. Here's a pic if my current one. I don't see any other parts that could be checked other than the ones I have taken out. Advice?