Reef tank background black or blue?

Pawel

Premium member
If you guys had a chance to start over again with your reef tank would you pick black or blue background?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I had black for years and on my recent build, I did blue....and love it. You have to keep the glass clean or it looks bad though. The fish really pop against the blue compared to the black.

Pawel

Premium member
I had black for years and on my recent build, I did blue....and love it. You have to keep the glass clean or it looks bad though. The fish really pop against the blue compared to the black.
Do you have black or blue overflow. How does blue background look with black overflow.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Do you have black or blue overflow. How does blue background look with black overflow.
Good point. Obviously a black overflow will stick out more on blue. I have a glass holes slim overflow, so it’s not very-in-your-face.

madjoe

Premium member
Black unless u want to clean the back of tank all the time to keep it looking good. Imo hard enough to keep the front and sides clean lol

I've done both and prefer the black. I didnt like cleaning the back wall everyday with blue. I used Sprayed on Black Plasti-Dip just in case I really didn't like it. The Plasti-Dip won't come off unless you want it to. However it will come off pretty easy if you do. I didnt choose paint because its relatively forever and I'm super indecisive. Plus if you screw up its a pain to unpaint. Black Plasti-Dip was a Win-Win for me.

Last edited:

mikenh77

did black on one tank, the next blue, and then black again lol.

with the blue background the coral's colors pop less. black brings it out and IMO also seems to add a lot more depth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ssky

Black is my personal choice gives a deep water look and feel if you know what I mean. Blue looks fake

Spartanman22

I was always a black background kinda guy, didn’t care for blue. But on my last larger setup I left it clear. Tank was a deep blue 80 with a corner overflow. I think without a background it added a sense of depth to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk