Reefwise vs Aqua Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

CienFuegos

Premium member
Two weeks ago me and the girlfriend went to reefwise as I've been thinking about starting up a tank again since it's been about a year or so since my last tank crashed. She knows how excited and happy I get when I start looking online and kicking the idea around so she wanted to know what would be involved and where one would go t buy the fish and corals. Anywho, I took her to reefwise since aesticically it's pleasing to the eye. But sad to say that it's nothing how I remembered it and same guy who was there and sold me one of my first coral was there. Wasn't really a fan of his since he would always say the the corals ultra and that's why it cost so much. Once we left he store she said that guy kept hovering over us like a used car sales man. Once we left reefwise I took her to Aqua pros since Dave was always very kewl and fair with his prices. I talked to Dave for a bit who just got me more excited about jumping into this hobby.

His is just one mans opinion

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I've been thinking about starting up a tank again since it's been about a year or so since my last tank crashed.
Well it's about time !!!

I've always preferred one store much more than the other but everyone can different experiences at the same place. I think it's important to get info out there and I think a sponsor should reply if they think a review is unfair.

CienFuegos

Premium member
I wrote a similar review about my experience at reefwise.
I saw it... they were always over priced when it when it came to the common fish, but they also would have fish that were hard to find. Then I realized that you could get for those fish if you asked the lfs if they could get them for you

#theMatrix

I saw it... they were always over priced when it when it came to the common fish, but they also would have fish that were hard to find. Then I realized that you could get for those fish if you asked the lfs if they could get them for you
Im curious if i read that right.

So your saying that the lfs can also order rare deep water fish?

Because from whats said reefwise gets some of their rare fish shipped from divers. Not a wholesale fish market
Again im asking about the rare 3k 4k and up

CienFuegos

Premium member
Im curious if i read that right.

So your saying that the lfs can also order rare deep water fish?

Because from whats said reefwise gets some of their rare fish shipped from divers. Not a wholesale fish market
Again im asking about the rare 3k 4k and up
That's my understanding as well with regards to them using divers. I can't speak about the fish in the 3k and up range, because I dont have that kind of bankroll. But when I would ask about the the wrasse in the 200 and up and Brian said he could order them. About a year ago I did see him having a japanese dwarf angelfish in the 3000 or 4000 range.

spseminara

They are both great stores and compliment each other. We are lucky to have a place like Reefwise who can pull in some really rare fish and AquaPros who can pull in such variety at reasonable prices. I do stay away from the 'used car' salesman guy for the reasons you mention, but both Brian and Dave are great to purchase from

Another thumbs up here for Dave at Aquapros. I purchase from him quite a bit as well as at the show and he always is super friendly with top notch deals.

bryman

I think we are lucky to have both in the western burbs. I've seen some of the rarest fish I though I'd never see in person at Reefwise, and have gotten great deals on tanks and essential drygoods at Aquapros.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I think we are lucky to have both in the western burbs. I've seen some of the rarest fish I though I'd never see in person at Reefwise, and have gotten great deals on tanks and essential drygoods at Aquapros.
I agree

To each his own...personally, nothing pisses me off more than when an employee at a LFS sits on their ass behind the desk and doesn't come out and engage. We all know that prices aren't always marked and having to walk back and forth asking for prices is worse, to me, than having someone hovering around, IMO. The "used car salesman" reference is a matter of one's own preference. I always enjoy shopping at Reefwise and I like the ultra attention I get. However, I do agree that the word "ultra" gets thrown around a bit too much in this industry. Obviously, some people have different experiences and opinions, and they're entitled to them...

I also like shopping at Aqua Pro's...but they are different stores with different business models... which begs the question, why compare things that are not the same? This is not the first time I've seen people compare the two and I wonder why is it that people feel the need to compare them like they are the only two stores in all of Chicagoland? There are many other stores with different specialities and different price points.

Last edited:
I agree

To each his own...personally, nothing pisses me off more than when an employee at a LFS sits on their ass behind the desk and doesn't come out and engage. We all know that prices aren't always marked and having to walk back and forth asking for prices is worse, to me, than having someone hovering around, IMO. The "used car salesman" reference is a matter of one's own preference. I always enjoy shopping at Reefwise and I like the ultra attention I get. However, I do agree that the word "ultra" gets thrown around a bit too much in this industry. Obviously, some people have different experiences and opinions, and they're entitled to them...

I also like shopping at Aqua Pro's...but they are different stores with different business models... which begs the question, why compare things that are not the same? This is not the first time I've seen people compare the two and I wonder why is it that people feel the need to compare them like they are the only two stores in all of Chicagoland? There are many other stores with different specialities and different price points.
I think people tend to compare them because 1, they are close to each other, and 2, the business models are completely different so it is easy to compare the two.

I've been shopping at Reefwise since I first started the hobby 5 years ago, and Brian has always taken care of me. When I go in, he never tries to upsell me, and even if I come in 10 times and look around, asking tons of questions, he never gets upset. He knows that when I'm ready to buy, I'll buy stuff.

I've been shopping at Aquapros for around 3+ years, and Dave is also an amazing guy. I usually go to Aquapros for my dry goods and fish, because I love his quarantine procedure. I bought my current tank from him, and he is always upfront and honest about pricing.

Aquapros gears more towards the affordable, local fish store. While Reefwise is more high-end, drive an hour to get there to see the cool stuff fish store. They both have their places in the hobby, and both are great to go to. They both will take the time to learn your name and will give you the time needed to make decisions.

Amozoc

Premium member
Aquapros all the way guys from Reefwise are to cocky i do not like how they talk to you

Sent from my iPhone using Thor

conchman

Premium member
Comparing these two, would be like picking your favorite child. As stated by most, they are 2 different business models. I have been treated as I would have expected. I don't expect to be treated like royalty, nor do I expect to be completely ignored or talked down to. I have a place that gives me very fair deals on dry stock, parts etc., I tend to go to AP for livestock, I do look here more likely now. For one who is way out west, I am glad to have them at least this close. I will continue to give both by business...

Top Water

The store is only as good as you are . If you know your stuff you will focus on that . People are people and thank God we are all different . What I see is people are lazy and want someone else to do their homework for them so they have someone else to blame .

carpetreef75

Premium member
the store is only as good as you are . If you know your stuff you will focus on that . People are people and thank god we are all different . What i see is people are lazy and want someone else to do their homework for them so they have someone else to blame .
post of the week ..........

Amozoc

Premium member
The store is only as good as you are . If you know your stuff you will focus on that . People are people and thank God we are all different . What I see is people are lazy and want someone else to do their homework for them so they have someone else to blame .
Bump

Last edited:
The problem is if you are new to the hobby, walking into your LFS can be overwhelming. A friendly welcoming staff makes a world of difference. 4 years ago when I started my first reef tank, I walked into Reefwise and I felt as though I was bothering them with my silly questions. I found out about Aquapros and checked them out. Their staff was always willing to answer my questions, and their prices are always very reasonable. They learned my name. They have a customer for life now. First impressions can have a lasting effect.

Amozoc

Premium member
The problem is if you are new to the hobby, walking into your LFS can be overwhelming. A friendly welcoming staff makes a world of difference. 4 years ago when I started my first reef tank, I walked into Reefwise and I felt as though I was bothering them with my silly questions. I found out about Aquapros and checked them out. Their staff was always willing to answer my questions, and their prices are always very reasonable. They learned my name. They have a customer for life now. First impressions can have a lasting effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.