Salt

bwidner1

Hey guys, long time no post haha! So i am getting close to the end of my current bucket of reef crystals, and it seems every LFS that I visit has stopped carrying it. So I am thinking of switching salt mix due to the loss of convience of just being able to pick it up a few blocks away from the house. Any suggestions for salt and why? I have searched quite a bit and having a hard time generating a conclusion as to if any one brand is superior, and figure what better way than to ask those who share the same source of thier RO/DI water. Thanks!

Top Water

Reef Crystals is the easiest to find and usslly the cheapest. You want to buy the 200 gal box . Why don't you buy on line and have it delivered if your too lazy to go get some .

bwidner1

Reef Crystals is the easiest to find and usslly the cheapest. You want to buy the 200 gal box . Why don't you buy on line and have it delivered if your too lazy to go get some .
Has nothing to do with buying online nor being too lazy to go and get some, but simply looking for feedback if anyone favors a different salt since having to order online opens up many more options as would having to go to other stores rather than the store down the street.

madjoe

Premium member
Has nothing to do with buying online nor being too lazy to go and get some, but simply looking for feedback if anyone favors a different salt since having to order online opens up many more options as would having to go to other stores rather than the store down the street.
Yea sometimes we give goofy answers ive probably been guilty of this too lol. I use reef crystals also but have few buddies that have great results with redsea coral pro salt i believe thats what it is called since i dont use it although thinking about switching once i run out . I cant really tell u how readily available it is which is probably no help lol

ReefFanatic

Yea sometimes we give goofy answers ive probably been guilty of this too lol. I use reef crystals also but have few buddies that have great results with redsea coral pro salt i believe thats what it is called since i dont use it although thinking about switching once i run out . I cant really tell u how readily available it is which is probably no help lol
I will be doing the same as joe. Currently finishing my bucket of RC and have a bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro ready to go. I will share my experience once I give it a try

goatous

I started with Reef Crystals and switched to Aquavitro Salinity after I found the super high ALK of Reef Crystals was burning some of my LPS. It was a young tank and had next to no SPS to consume the ALK and Reef Crystals was simply too high and wasn't being consumed between frequent water changes. The pH was also variable and typically low (7.8) with RC. After switching to Salinity, pH is super consistent at 8.2 and ALK is closer to natural seawater (~10 dKH). I'm also not seeing a swing in ALK after a water change, because the fresh saltwater is just slightly above my target.
Now that the tank is older and corals are growing, I dose Ca and Alk, and switching back to the RC may be ok. But I probably won't because I'm liking stability I'm seeing with pH and I'm already dosing Ca and Alk.

Disclaimer: My experience is with a young (<1 yr) small (40G) tank and my conclusions are drawn from limited experience (<1 yr) and limited data (n=1). But I'm a chemist by trade, and love the chemistry portion of keeping a reef tank.

willtheld

I use to be a big advocate for Brightwell neomarine salt. I had a couple of bad buckets and switched to Fritz RPM salt. HUUUUUGE difference. It's cheaper and I know many stores carry it in the area as well as several online stores ship it free.

xj_matt

Premium member
Brs has red sea pro on sale right now for $65 some chang. Just thought I would let you guys know

rako1

Premium member
well if you want to buy at your lfs what do they carry and ask for an opinion on that salt

tinman

I use to be a big advocate for Brightwell neomarine salt. I had a couple of bad buckets and switched to Fritz RPM salt. HUUUUUGE difference. It's cheaper and I know many stores carry it in the area as well as several online stores ship it free.
i also switched from aquaforest to Frtiz and im liking it :)

i now use Fritz for larger water changes and Red sea coral pro for smaller water changes so as to keep the ALk stable :)

wrasse

Hey guys, long time no post haha! So i am getting close to the end of my current bucket of reef crystals, and it seems every LFS that I visit has stopped carrying it. So I am thinking of switching salt mix due to the loss of convience of just being able to pick it up a few blocks away from the house. Any suggestions for salt and why? I have searched quite a bit and having a hard time generating a conclusion as to if any one brand is superior, and figure what better way than to ask those who share the same source of thier RO/DI water. Thanks!
Possibly the reason stores don't stock with Reef Crystal anymore is because there is little profit margin for the salt. Petco doctors Foster and Smith several times a year with the right deal you can get the salt for 35 to 40 bucks a bucket or box.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Been using Salinity for a long time now and probably wont be switching. It 70$ but for 225Gallons at 1.026 salinity. Most advertise so many gallons but at a way lower salinity. So in the end works out to be almost the same price. I did a Triton test recently and ALL my parameters were spot on except LITTLE low on Iodine.

maidia

Team CR
I am using the last few bags of RC for now then will switch to Fritz RPM. Fritz has little high in magnesium (1425) so may not need dosing Mag. Cal and Alk is ok.

$49 up (+ tax) for 55lb box 205 gal which is not too bad.

Salinity 35 ppt (1.025 sg)
Calcium 440 ppm
Magnesium 1425 ppm
Alkalinity 8.5 dKH
Strontium 9 ppm
Potassium 400 ppm

Last edited:
i also switched from aquaforest to Frtiz and im liking it :)

i now use Fritz for larger water changes and Red sea coral pro for smaller water changes so as to keep the ALk stable :)
What was your opinion of Aquaforest? I'm thinking about switching from Red Sea Coral Pro to their reef salt. I do mostly LPS and softies.

tinman

What was your opinion of Aquaforest? I'm thinking about switching from Red Sea Coral Pro to their reef salt. I do mostly LPS and softies.
i didnt see any difference in behaviour for good or bad .. but i personally like aquaforest also ..
if i have to rank ..

Red sea > aquaforest == fritz > all other salts

fishtank44

I am happy with RC salt still using it just dosing alkalinity and magnesium by water change . maybe too much corals in my 220 gals tank.