Sea chem pond matrix

Bowhunter4250

Has anyone used or using this product in their systems to control nitrates ? thoughts ? its the same as sea chem de-nitrate just in a larger volume

thanks

ultimatemj

I use Pond Matrix in my sump. It took a while to get going, but once it did I've not been able to get N03 above 2 or 3....lately it's barely been 0.25ppm :(
View attachment 16021

And for reference, before using it I was battling N03 :eek1:
View attachment 16019

Not sure if it's the same media as DeNitrate, but it probably is...for some reason the directions for use are a bit different (flowrate). I know Pond Matrix is the same as media as "Matrix", but it is much less expensive. I bought a 4L bucket of Pond Matrix for $26 vs $14 for 500ml of Matrix.

The larger grain size makes it easier to clean. I've keep it in a vegetable bag, and right before I do a water change I turn off the pumps, lift it up, and shake out the detritus.
View attachment 16018

All in all, I'm a fan :rock:

Bowhunter4250

I use Pond Matrix in my sump. It took a while to get going, but once it did I've not been able to get N03 above 2 or 3....lately it's barely been 0.25ppm :(
View attachment 16021

And for reference, before using it I was battling N03 :eek1:
View attachment 16019

Not sure if it's the same media as DeNitrate, but it probably is...for some reason the directions for use are a bit different (flowrate). I know Pond Matrix is the same as media as "Matrix", but it is much less expensive. I bought a 4L bucket of Pond Matrix for $26 vs $14 for 500ml of Matrix.

The larger grain size makes it easier to clean. I've keep it in a vegetable bag, and right before I do a water change I turn off the pumps, lift it up, and shake out the detritus.
View attachment 16018

All in all, I'm a fan :rock:
awesome ! nice job ... thanks for the input ! do you run any GFO ? what is your water volume ?

ultimatemj

I have (and occasionally still do) run GFO, but try to avoid it and it's "other impacts". I'm now primarily using ATS for P04 consumption, which also consumes some N03.

My total volume is "only" 70gal. Since my nitrates were "off the charts" I started using a lot more Pond Matrix than "prescribed" LOL I look at it like "turbo charged live rock" :)