Sump nems, who’s done it?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Chat this morning get me thinking on it. Who has kept a nem of any sort in the sump for more than short term? I’d expect rock and mini carpets to be most suitable, but anyone tried something else? If so what lighting did you use? Did you have to spot feed or did detritus alone keep them going?

SkullV

I kept an atlantic carpet nem in my sump for quite a while but I did have LEDs down there. They were the junk Marineland Reef Bright but they got the job done. I did feed it every once in a while but if you have good lighting you shouldn't need to feed photosynthetic nems anyway.

Spartanman22

I've got a rose bubble tip currently in my fuge lit by a CC par 38 bulb. In the past I've kept a carpet in my fuge lit by a 250 watt halogen spotlight from Home Depot.

madjoe

Premium member
U guys dont worry about them wandering and ending up in return pump ? Or any other pump down there

Have 1 in the sump now with no problem trying to get him to stay put on a nice piece of rock so he can go back in the 300 , 3 others stayed exactly where there foot was planted and this 1 wants to WALK ABOUT ... lol
Bob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
man would love tk see a 300 reef !!! post some pics in your build thread
This!

And also, Luna's green nem spent months in my sump before I gave it to him. I had it in my display until my angels picked at it and it started to look really bad. It recovered in my sump for quite a few months. I had it under my cc fuge light and fed it often. It actually looked a lot better after a few months.

SkullV

Mine was a Marineland "Reef Capable" so pretty much all white with a couple royal blue thrown in. The par on the thing is dismal but the Nem was in like 7" of water and only 10" under the light.

jrpark22000

Premium member
What this thread has got me thinking about is my pico. Instead of a sumpnem, plumb the pico into the display system (after removing all the pico rock and dino,) then add rock and a nem. Don't have to worry about nem walking into sps or the bioload worries of a pico.

Instead of the nem, I could move all the NPS to the pico as well. Even upgrade the size of the pico to 12" cube, 7.5 gal and house both. So many ideas...

Last edited:

SkullV

What this thread has got me thinking about is my pico. Instead of a sumpnem, plumb the pico into the display system (after removing all the pico rock and dino,) then add rock and a nem. Don't have to worry about nem walking into sps or the bioload worries of a pico.

Instead of the nem, I could move all the NPS to the pico as well. Even upgrade the size of the pico to 12" cube, 7.5 gal and house both. So many ideas...
That's what I would do. Plumb a deep blue 7.5g cube into it, high flow from the return, no power head in the tank, and a nice BTA. Then you could put the angry clowns in there too!

jrpark22000

Premium member
Didn't even think about the clowns.... not sure a 12" cube is big enough for one though. I grow husky fish. Might do a nem crab or 2 instead.

I'm gonna get a quite unhappy look from the wife when I take this idea home... :rofl1:

SkullV

Didn't even think about the clowns.... not sure a 12" cube is big enough for one though. I grow husky fish. Might do a nem crab or 2 instead.

I'm gonna get a quite unhappy look from the wife when I take this idea home... :rofl1:
12" cube is plenty for a pair with no other fish in the tank. They will be aggressive as all hell in there since it'll be their territory, but no problem. Breeders keep spawning pairs in 5.5g tanks all the time.