Thinking of re aquascaping with tonga branch

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I like the idea of opening it up. I'm not a fan of the horizontal tonga bridge because it doesn't look natural. I'd like to see you bunch multiple branches vertically to form two islands. The base of the clustered branches could be really tight and mushroom out at the top.

madjoe

Premium member
What noooooooooooo! Listen im a big fan of open area but dude that tank looks wild the way it is and why would u want to bust all that up and risk what most here cant achive and would kill for a thriveing tank with colonies not tiny frags . Im against it i say no its perfect way it is dont fix if it aint broken

akaimal

What noooooooooooo! Listen im a big fan of open area but dude that tank looks wild the way it is and why would u want to bust all that up and risk what most here cant achive and would kill for a thriveing tank with colonies not tiny frags . Im against it i say no its perfect way it is dont fix if it aint broken
Thanks for the compliments :) Yes it was a really hard decision to make. I have been thinking about doing this for the last couple of years. I am doing it because of the hydroid infestation in the tank and its slowly stinging and killing corals. . There is nothing that would eat it unfortunately.

reeferside

But some emaco to glue it together. Make sure to cure it well.. took me over 1 month.

That structure you posted looks amazing. Is that yours? If it is, GREAT job!!

akaimal

But some emaco to glue it together. Make sure to cure it well.. took me over 1 month.

That structure you posted looks amazing. Is that yours? If it is, GREAT job!!
Thanks man! Yes that's mine. Had been curing it for 20 days now. I am also curing it little by little inside a tank connected to my main system.

ultimatemj

Tank looks great!

Hydoids?!

What's that and how do you think you got them?

Is the only option "start over"?!?!?!?!??

akaimal

Tank looks great!

Hydoids?!

What's that and how do you think you got them?

Is the only option "start over"?!?!?!?!??
Hydroids came along with an aquacultured SPS colony. I thought it looked cool. Yes the only option right now is start over. Nothing eats it.

ultimatemj

Wait, connected to the main system??? Won't they simply contaminate the new rock?

Sorry for the ignorant questions...I'm not experienced with hydroids~

madjoe

Premium member
Wait, connected to the main system??? Won't they simply contaminate the new rock?

He makes a good point i believe they can not saying they will but ive seen them go from one side of tank to the other . Might want to look into this

akaimal

Yes that's a good point. But fortunately colonial hydroids need light to grow. They will die off in a few days without light. The new rocks are in total darkness. So nothing to worry about.

ultimatemj

So....a 3day blackout on the main tank would make them go away? I would expect most fish and corals to be able to survive that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akaimal

So....a 3day blackout on the main tank would make them go away? I would expect most fish and corals to be able to survive that!

I am afraid of trying that. I think it takes 4 or 5 days just like a coral to die off.

akaimal

Testing to see how long they are going to last without light. Here is the sample that's going into my dump today :)